The rest of my 2012 photos (i.e. not so fast, Harry!)

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited January 30, 2013 in Wildlife
Harry, no point in taking vacation the last few days of your moderator tenure! :lust

Here are the last of my 2012 photos taken over the last couple of weeks. As always, all comments and suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated! Best, Pam

1) Anhinga at sunrise

2012-1222_Anhinga-1D-L.jpg

2) Anhinga drying its wings

2012-1222_Anhinga_Avery_Island-3D-L.jpg

3) Avery Island Buck

2012-1221_Deer_Avery_Island-1B-L.jpg

4) Avery Island Warrior Buck: Looks to me like this buck picked on the wrong competitor, since its right antler is broken off and its right eye just doesn't look quite right:

2012-1225_Deer_Avery_Island-1B-L.jpg

5) When you are lonely, most any company will do--even a turtle. We have only a few Egrets and Great Blue Herons spending the winter here, though Edmund and I saw a Roseate Spoonbill in flight today.

2012-1218_Great_Blue_Heron_Avery_Island-1B-L.jpg

6) Great Blue Heron having a messy catfish dinner.

2012-1226_Great_Blue_Heron_Avery_Island-95E-L.jpg

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2012
    All 6 images are excellent with good comp and excellent exposure. on #2 and #6 I would have tried some more NR on the BG.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    All 6 images are excellent with good comp and excellent exposure. on #2 and #6 I would have tried some more NR on the BG.

Thanks, Harry! I'll do it! Happy New Year! clap.gif Best, Pam
    edited December 29, 2012
    Harry's suggested NR changes
    As usual, Harry is right. More NR did help these two photos. With these high ISO images, the best way I have found to really reduce the noise is to make one copy of the image that has had the Lightroom global NR "Luminance" slider pushed way over to the right so that the whole image is affected, and then putting this image on top of the original in Photoshop Elements as a separate layer, and using the layer mask and a "hard" brush to eliminate the NR on the main subject, so that it still looks sharp. If anyone has a better way, I'd love to know. I have tried the Lightroom local adjustment NR brush over just the BG, but it doesn't seem to work as well. Many thanks Harry and everyone else! Pam

2012-1222_Anhinga_Avery_Island-3E-L.jpg

2012-1226_Great_Blue_Heron_Avery_Island-95F-L.jpg
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2012
    A definite improvement Pam clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited January 2, 2013
    Harryb wrote: »
    A definite improvement Pam clap.gif

Thanks, Harry! And Happy New Year! Best, Pam
  • PacificklausPacificklaus Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2013
    Very nice behavior shots, particularly of the birds, thanks for the interesting tips on noise removal.
    edited January 4, 2013
    Very nice behavior shots, particularly of the birds, thanks for the interesting tips on noise removal.

Thank you very much! Best, Pam
  • TazZTazZ Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2013
    wow nice shots i need to get out more
  • kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2013
    Good shots. Really like the retouch on 2 and 6. I would also crop out the moss on the right on #3. My eyes went straight to it.
    www.Prideinphotography.com