Boston Ballet Nutcracker

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited November 27, 2005 in People
I got into the second to last dress rehersal and pretty much had the run of the place. The only rules were: no flash, and I couldn't go backstage. I shot a lot and learned a lot for next time (if there is one.)

The processing and choosing of these is still a work in progress. But here are some:

[Author edit: I have completed processing and choosing from this shoot and a subsequent one. See: http://rutt.smugmug.com/gallery/999326 for finished versions of my favorites.]

45792341-L.jpg

45791382-L.jpg

45791495-L.jpg

45791690-L.jpg

45791566-L.jpg

My proof sheet with out of camera jpegs and these finished shots is here, if you want to look. I love help with choosing shots. There are more good ones of the bear, perhaps better than this one, but this one shows just how good a dancer he is. There are also come good ones of the toy doll pair.

Should have stayed in the orchestra for the 2nd act with the 85 f/1.2 instead of going to the dress circle and shooting with the 70-200 f/2.8.
If not now, when?

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    Must have been a wonderful Rutt. Great set, thnxs for sharing.
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    Lovely shots, well done.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 24, 2005
    I'm jealous, you rascal.

What an opportunity!!

I see how dark it was too, looking at your exif data.
    ISO 1600 f2.8 1/50th at 200mm

Challenging conditions, and I think you might have enjoyed a 300 f2.8 IS L at times also.

The height the dancer in the bear suit attained is unbelieveable. What an impressive display.

I love the shot of the bear doing the spits in med air!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    BEAUTIFUL, Rutt! I'm very impressed.
    Scott (McLeod) and I were just complaing last night that he and I appear to be the only theatrical photographers on the board. Well, now that's not entirely true. Congrats on some wonderful shots in an environment I *KNOW* is hard to shoot. :)

- Geordan
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Challenging conditions, and I think you might have enjoyed a 300 f2.8 IS L at times also.

I have one and brought it, but, even on the 5D from the dress circle, it was too long.

If and when I get another shot at this, I'll stay in the orchestra and shoot with a fast prime. I don't think new glass is required, but maybe a step ladder to get up just a little above the stage lip.
    If not now, when?
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    Wow, nice job in challenging conditions. That must have been fun. The (crisp!) bear coming out of the two dancers bodies at neck level made me laugh. And the height of jump (or illusion anyway) in #4 is killer. Great framing.
    Chris
    edited November 24, 2005
    And thank you very much to everyone who commented. There are a few more good ones, and I'll get around to posting.

For me the most frustrating thing was that the light for the Arabian dance was really really dark, but the dancers were so good and the choreography is so challenging and sensuous. I don't know how to capture that. And the dress circle (as opposed to orchestra) vantage wasn't doing me any favors:

45775336-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
    edited November 24, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    Wow, nice job in challenging conditions. That must have been fun. The (crisp!) bear coming out of the two dancers bodies at neck level made me laugh. And the height of jump (or illusion anyway) in #4 is killer. Great framing.

Thank you very much.

No illusion about the height of the jumps. This is probably the second best class ballet company in the US and these are absolutely top professional dancers at the peak of their form. If anything the vantage from the balcony and the telephoto lens makes the jump look less hgih than it really was.

[AUTHOR EDIT: my wife, the real ballet fan in the family was upset that I said Boston Ballet was only in the top 4 or 5 companies in the US. After the New York City Ballet, she says, it's only Boston or maybe San Francisco. So in the interest of domestic tranquility, I corrected myself.]
    If not now, when?
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Thank you very much.

No illusion about the height of the jumps. This is probably the second best class ballet company in the US and these are absolutely top professional dancers at the peak of their form. If anything the vantage from the balcony and the telephoto lens makes the jump look less hgih than it really was.

[AUTHOR EDIT: my wife, the real ballet fan in the family was upset that I said Boston Ballet was only in the top 4 or 5 companies in the US. After the New York City Ballet, she says, it's only Boston or maybe San Francisco. So in the interest of domestic tranquility, I corrected myself.]
    Don't just paint me green... drown me in a tank of green paint.

I hope that the photo gods someday give me this kind of opportunity. For now, i'll settle with the local smaller companies.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • PlayeTymePlayeTyme Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    Excellent series, Rutt.thumb.gif You photos are simply amazing.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    edited November 25, 2005
    Lyle Kroll saw these images cross posted on FM and rendered this beautiful version of #1:

45792341l1if.jpg

and asked my permission to post on the Photo Illustration & Digital Art forum there. His actual post: http://rutt.smugmug.com/gallery/990330/14/45791495

I find it pretty darn nice when a shot of mine gets picked up and inspires such a cool and creative use.
    If not now, when?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 25, 2005
    John, these are great. I especially liked #1. Your shot of the bear shows the
    height achieved very nicely.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    being an ex dancer Rutt my pulse rate went up several clicks at these lovely shots.. #1 is wonderful.. and I like your version much better clap.gifclap.gif
    edited November 25, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    John, these are great. I especially liked #1. Your shot of the bear shows the
    height achieved very nicely.

Ian

The bear is great, but also a misshoot, you know. If/when I get another chance, I'll get the camera much lower and hopefully that way he'll clear the heads of the people in the background.

Thanks Ian and Lynn.
    If not now, when?
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I have one and brought it, but, even on the 5D from the dress circle, it was too long.

If and when I get another shot at this, I'll stay in the orchestra and shoot with a fast prime. I don't think new glass is required, but maybe a step ladder to get up just a little above the stage lip.
    You mean you were by the pit? Uh...how'd you manage that? I play in an amateur orchestra here in Boston that is, incidentally, conducted by Jonathan McPhee. I've seen him kick a photographer out of a rehearsal due to the noise of the shutter during quiet parts of the music. And this was a guy being paid to shoot us!

Wonderful, wonderful shots, btw.
    edited November 27, 2005
    zigzag wrote:
    Wonderful, wonderful shots, btw.

Thanks!

Johathan is a great guy and had a lot to do with saving Boston Ballet a few years ago. But the Nutcracker is big business and they have to give the local pros an opportunity to shoot at the dress rehersals. Also:
    1. There are no really quiet parts of the Nutcracker, and
    2. The conductor isn't in charge. The artistic director is talking to the dancers almost the whole time, and
    3. I wasn't in the pit. But front row and up the steps on either side. It was great.
    If not now, when?