Do you have private galleries for your clients?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 28, 2012 in People
If so, what convention do you use for creating their user name and/or password?

I want to come up with a consistent convention that is both secure and easy for the client to remember. I bounce around with different methods.

Thanks,

Alex
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2012
    I just do "unlisted". For kid shoots, I offer them the option of a password if they would like it, but nobody has ever asked for it.

I have never given a client a listed, public gallery, however; if they want to share it, they can post the link to their friends.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2012
    I use their last name and the year. (Jones2012)
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2012
    Good info. I've used last name and other things. The way I have my site setup now, I have a Client link on my navbar. When you click it, you enter a "username". Then, if I don't lock the gallery down, it then takes you directly to your gallery based on the username you entered. If I lock the gallery down, you first have to enter the password and then you go to the gallery. I like the former option because it's one less step. However, anyone can navigate to the gallery if they have a direct link. The latter is "safer". I say it quotes because I'm not quite sure why some people feel the need to lock down their photos so much but I've gotten requests to do so.

Take a look at my site. Love to hear what you think of it in general.

Click Clients and then enter "Kiley" for both username and password when prompted.

http://www.alexsotelophotography.com/

BTW, still make a few updates to it.

My Smug Site
  • LubinskiLubinski Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2012
    Ive mixed up their names with the date I posted it.
    ~Lubinski
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2012
    Yes, I list them as not public and just send the link, no password stuff.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2012
    Public galleries. Password protected. Client last name as folder name. Password is client's street number followed by first name (lower case).

I hope that helps.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2012
    Interesting how different people do it. It is helpful.

My Smug Site
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    I just do "unlisted".

A drawback with unlisted galleries is that it allows unintentional full access to the entire gallery, if an image is shared on a public site.
    edited December 28, 2012
    troopers wrote: »
    A drawback with unlisted galleries is that it allows unintentional full access to the entire gallery, if an image is shared on a public site.

Yuppers and is why I want to PW protect them. I hotlink photos so the URL to the gallery is easily seen by anyone that knows enough to right-click/properties on the shot.

I don't see much harm in it personally but I want to protect the privacy of the people I shoot as much as I can.

My Smug Site