Options

60d or t4i

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited January 1, 2013 in Cameras
I have a 60d. Looking at the specs on a T4i. Is ti better or worse than the 60d?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited December 29, 2012
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    I have a 60d. Looking at the specs on a T4i. Is ti better or worse than the 60d?

Better or worse depends on your intentions for the camera body. Without knowing how you will use the body, we cannot advise which might be more appropriate.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2012
    High ISO quality is my #1 issue. I do wedding and family shoots.
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2012
    Here you go Josh. Pretty much points out benefits and weaknesses comparing to each other. My personal thoughts are, the 60d is pretty much a pro camera, while the T4i is more of a prosumer camera. As is my T1i. I so agree with you on noise suppression, it's become one of my top nemesis's anymore. To be honest, if I was considering a true step up, I would bite the bullet and go 7D or 5D3. I have read they have superb noise suppression? headscratch.gif

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=7173.15
    The 60d has, apart from the mentioned battery life, better built/sealing, top lcd & back dial at least ...
    a) larger viewfinder & pentaprism
    b) 1/8000s shutter,
    c) 1/250s flash sync (even better than the 5d3)
    d) larger buffer and better fps in raw for continuous shots (the 650d fps rate is for making multi-shot jpeg noise
    reduction feasible)
    e) runs magic lantern NOW (a stable digic5 port imho will take a year or so)
    Correct me if im wrong, but the T4i will be like other rebels and only allow full stops in ISO and shutter speed while the 60D will allow 1/3 stop increases.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2012
    the 6d looks like a killer option, but it is three times as much as the T4I
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2012
    Hmm interesting side by caparison shots between 6D and 5D3.
    Canon 6D and 5DMk3 Noise Comparison for High-ISO Long Exposures

More at link
    http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/13/canon-6d-and-5dmk3-noise-comparison-for-high-iso-long-exposures/
    30s.jpg

But you also lose features on a 6D, from a 5D3.
    6D One Sd slot vs dual CF and SD on 5D
    Slower FPS shooting, 6D slower @ 4.5 vs 6 on 5D
    AF points 6D-11 vs 5D3-61
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d

Tough call Josh, but that noise comparison is pretty telling imo. Plus buffer size isn't mentioned, how many shoots will it take before it stops to catch up. My T1i sucks on that (sd). I'm not sure how a 5D3 is, using the SD slot.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2012
    the differences of those last two is pretty amazing.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited December 29, 2012
    High ISO quality is my #1 issue. I do wedding and family shoots.

For weddings I very much appreciate AF accuracy, responsiveness and select additional features.

These 2 bodies have a very similar (if not nearly identical) primary AF sensor, image sensor and metering module. Basic still image quality for stationary subject matter should be very similar, with slightly better high-ISO results possible for the Digital Rebel T4i/650D.

The Digital Rebel T4i/650D has a newer image processor and a new and unique (among Canon cameras) hybrid AF capability, which should help with video AF and Live View AF.

The 60D has a better construction, better viewfinder and mirror assembly, and better shutter box. It also has a larger and more robust battery.

Both bodies use SD card format for storage and both are certified for use with Eye-Fi wireless cards.

For still image applications I would recommend the 60D, but for "indie" video acquisition I would probably recommend the Digital Rebel T4i/650D (pending the major review sites' findings).

All dRebel bodies use a stamped and spot-welded stainless steel chassis, while the 60D has a machined aluminum chassis.

The Digital Rebel T4i/650D has a RAW shot buffer depth of 6, vs 15 frames for the 60D. The flash x-sync for the dRebel is 1/200th, vs 1/250th for the 60D.

In short, the Digital Rebel T4i/650D is the best dRebel so far to come from Canon, but the 60D has a better overall construction and richer feature set, some of which would be appropriate for wedding use.

I agree that the full-frame Canon dSLRs are better at high-ISO and have a lower noise signature overall than the Canon crop 1.6x bodies.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2012
    thanks for your input. very helpful.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2012
    Yep, Ziggy pretty much lays it out. I can't help but wonder why Canon went this way, to take a prosumer camera and put top of the line noise suppression in it? If they would have updated a 5D body with it, call it a 5DMk4ss (small sensor), or integrated this into a 7D body, they would have a hit it out of the park as far as I'm concerned. Can you imagine a 1.8 lens on this technology at 3200 or even 6400 with no snow? Or the other end, f16 at 128,000 shooting in a dark Church? That alone would have escalated Canon far beyond Nikon imo. When I start seeing pros use the T4i, I'll buy one, until then, I'll stick and deal with my noise.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2013

you can compare specs at
    http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras

unless you like the newer features of the T4i keeping the 60D might be the better option