Options

Canon - Warm house to cold outdoors

timberrattletimberrattle Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited December 31, 2012 in Cameras
We received 5 inches of fresh snow last night. I'm wanting to take my Canon D7 and new lens outside for some shots but I'm concerned about the camera sweating. How much harm can this cause to the camera and lens? What precautions can I take?

Too much money invested to create problems! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2012
    No real concerns. Just put the lens on the body and put all of it in a big ziplock bag and head outside. After about 5 - 10 minutes bring the camera out of the bag and snap away!

Basically it creates a vapor barrier while the camera cools down the ambient temperature. This trick works in the summer to.
  • Options
    timberrattletimberrattle Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2012
    Thanks bike21! Are there bags made specifically for this or just any big ziplock from a grocery store?
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2012
    Any old bag will do, I prefer the bags with the slide lock to ensure full barrier protection & closure but I don't think it really matters as long as it is sealed inside.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2012
    It is the return from freezing cold to warm indoors that you want to be most careful about. That is when condensation is a huge issue and you should leave your camera in a decently sealed bag for 10-20 minutes at least...

Going out into the cold from a warm indoors is less of an issue.

BTW, if the Canon 6D can handle this, your 7D can handle it too!

i-6Mgm7gh.jpg

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2012
    bike21 wrote: »
    No real concerns. Just put the lens on the body and put all of it in a big ziplock bag and head outside. After about 5 - 10 minutes bring the camera out of the bag and snap away!

Basically it creates a vapor barrier while the camera cools down the ambient temperature. This trick works in the summer to.

works in cold and tropical climates where you have heavy air conditioning inside
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2012
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    works in cold and tropical climates where you have heavy air conditioning inside

Indeed! Was quite handy in El Salvador this fall.