Options

Pocket Wizard MultiMAX Triggers

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited January 1, 2013 in Accessories
I have been using the RadioPopper JrX triggers. But I am starting to get into college basketball and I felt that I needed to make sure I didn't have channel issues and wanted to make sure I could have my own custom channel so I wasn't competing with other photographers for channels for strobes. I decided to make the jump now to the PW MultiMAX.

I will have 3 arriving in the next couple of days and I hope they are as advertised. They should be the most consistent solution out there on the market.

I will be using these with my D4 and Paul Buff Einstein strobes. Can't wait. Christmas is coming a little late this year.
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2013
    Congrats. The MultiMax radios are exceptional. I have many friends with custom freqs, but I am not sure if they just "hand those out". Hnestly, I could hadly imagine you'd need them. The likelihood of you exhausting 16 channels PLUS another 16 x 4 zones is nearly zero unless you head to the Olympics or the Superbowl.

How are you going to integrate this with the Vellos?
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2013
    Not quite sure, why didn't you just go with the new PW3? It's got the same channels and zones and if you are just doing plain 'ol firing you really did overpay to have MMax's. MM are good if you need to be on site and set a .0004 delay between trigger and flashes, or other "unique" things they do, but for channels and transmissions.. it's hard to beat the new 3's.
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2013
    While this is true (I have Multis, PW3's, and Flex's) the MultiMaxes have some pretty neat tricks up their sleeves. The intervalometer is a VERY neat trick. And the ability to shut down hotshoe comms in the field is another one that can pay major dividends when someone moves to remote camera triggers.
  • Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2013
    The MultiMAX has diagnostic tools that no other PW's have. I can measure signal strength as well as listen for channels with less interference in Sniffer Mode. The new PW III's are nice, but if I need my PWs in a situation that there are a lot of people using them, 16 channels may not be enough. For shooting college and pro stuff, MultiMax's are the way to go.
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com