Colour Management and PS

EdwardEdward Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited November 24, 2005 in Finishing School
I've calibrated my monitor to 6500K with a gamma of 2.2. This was done before I started building my site. I've looked at the site on other computers and the header/footer look washed out and my photos don't look nearly as clear as they do on my computer. Photos taken with my D70 were shot in the Adobe 1998 color space and I know I need to convert these to sRGB to make them look better on the average monitor. I'm wondering if anybody knew the best way to convert the images and bring out the colour in the header/footer. If it's at all helpful, I'm curently using PS CS2. I would also be interested in knowing what I can do in the future to prevent such a problem.

Thanks,

Edward
www.EdwardMinnett.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    Hi Edward,

Thanks for posting - it's a great topic and it trips up a lot of folks.

We've tried to make it easy - we recommend reading our help files on calibration, getting a calibration print done by our lab, and soft-proofing with the EZPrints ICC profile.

If you batch-convert your Adobe 1998 files to sRGB, your visitors will have a real good experience with your photos. To batch convert, essentially you'll record an action, opening the image, then do edit>convert to profile>and assign sRGB. Save and close the image, and then save your action. Then, you can use File>Automate in photoshop to apply these changes to a group or batch of images.

I hope this helps!

All the best,
  • EdwardEdward Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    The thought just occured to me, if I'm changing color spaces alot, should I shoot in RAW instead or jpg?

Edward
    www.EdwardMinnett.com