Options

Basketball with the D5100

EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited January 13, 2013 in Sports
While the D800 is off to never never land, yet to be heard from.

I took my daughters wee little 5100, the Odins, my 24-70 2.8 and two strobes, and shot a game.

Also most shots are cropped 50% or more. And realized later it was in JPEG mode. But, better than my 800 would have done.

The first 5 pics are mine.

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2013/01/05/photo-gallery-the-best-fridays-region-9-hoops-action/

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2013
    If this is better than your D800 will do, you're doing something very wrong.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2013
    Really need to tone down the saturation on those shots. Especially with strobes, it leads to completely unnatural skin tones.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2013
    Never touched the saturation adjustments. Same as another story I shot, the pics were way over saturated once published. But, could be in the cameras settings. Good point, I'll look at that next time.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2013
    I don't know if it's tone down the saturation as much as it is adjusting the white balance. When I shoot with strobes, I have my WB set to 5900K, -3Magenta, -3Blue (I'm pretty sure on the blue, but now that I say that I don't have my camera in front of me)

The -3 magenta really helps with the skin tones...
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2013
    I don't know if it's tone down the saturation as much as it is adjusting the white balance. When I shoot with strobes, I have my WB set to 5900K, -3Magenta, -3Blue (I'm pretty sure on the blue, but now that I say that I don't have my camera in front of me)

The -3 magenta really helps with the skin tones...

Ah, yes, I have noticed weird skin tones. And not trying to be weird or anything, but did you notice about all of the players of every team is just white guys? (yeah they cant jump either) ne_nau.gif:D
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2013
    Ok, our sports editor just loves this guys stuff. I'm no pro, and with my better camera off right now, I'm limited, (or just not having a D3s/D4) but I try, with strobes and the help from you guys, yet, he digs this?? I know MaxPreps wouldnt accept them.

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2013/01/12/photo-gallery-friday-night-flash-with-pv-dixie-and-sc-cedar/

Rob does a nice job, not sure if he's shooting strobed or just ups the NR.

But them last pics from Frank are fantastic.
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2013
    Those aren't strobed. They are nicely noise reduced, have vibrant color, are well color balanced, and in general look very good. I can see why the sports editor likes them. As for MaxPreps, I'd hardly consider that a measure of anything. I had them once reject a set of photos that the USA Today and Sports Illustrated guys liked.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2013
    Those aren't strobed. They are nicely noise reduced, have vibrant color, are well color balanced, and in general look very good. I can see why the sports editor likes them. As for MaxPreps, I'd hardly consider that a measure of anything. I had them once reject a set of photos that the USA Today and Sports Illustrated guys liked.

Yeah, true, Robs look nice, I was mostly referring to the last few.