2013 Self Portrait Project

LoganHLoganH Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited March 11, 2013 in People
I decided to do a 52 week self portrait project. Each week I am trying for a meaning behind the photo or just an all around theme.

Here is this week portrait. Took this out behind my house. The name of this photo is "Contradiction".

8351014622_64d6fa76fe_b.jpg

You can view this photo on my Flickr account

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2013
    Image says "Constipated" to me?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • LoganHLoganH Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2013
    This is a fine art series, so it's not going to be all nice and pretty like the typical portraits.
  • jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2013
    LoganH wrote: »
    This is a fine art series, so it's not going to be all nice and pretty like the typical portraits.

I don't get it at all, but am intrigued. Interested to see more as the weeks go by.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2013

My comment had nothing to do with technicals or anything. I don't get the message "Conflicted" at all from this scene. I get the sense that you're having bowel problems. Like you were out in the woods on your quad and got struck by a bad case of stomach cramps. Hence the fact that you're squatting behind the trees in your skivvies.

Just saying. Am interested in seeing more of this project as it unfolds. I've tried doing 365's or 52's in the past and have never follow through with them so good luck.

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2013
    I'm mostly confused by the goggles.

OP, I think you're onto something interesting in that you clearly have some kind of message you want to get across and you have stimulated people to explore the image (those are both great things). However, I'm not sure your "message" is making it to your audience without added info to clarify the title and the eccentricities in the image people have mentioned.

This image is skating close to my feelings about "director's theater/opera": if the production needs a program note to explain the choices made, then it isn't clear (and like is not serving the piece, the audience or the performers). There's something interesting going on here, but since I have work out what it is I have no response other than to scratch me head. ne_nau.gif
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2013
    Whether what I 'see' and what you're trying to get across (re title) are probably somewhat different.

Someone squatting, as if intent on observing / seeing something interesting ... but wearing goggles.
    Someone squatting ... having been 'caught short' and thus in need of rectifying said situation ... but wearing the single item of clothing that'd have to be removed.

From an 'artistic' / shape pov I'd suggest that not wearing pants (uk speak) would be worth considering, because of the way the bodyline is interrupted by their presence - assuming I'm nowhere close with 2 above.

pp
  • PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2013
    So it almost made sense to me. Then I realized I had "seen" the wrong image. I originally thought you have swimming goggles on. Someone in swimming gear would certainly contradict the woodland environment. Then I realized you have ski goggles on with mittens. I guess I still see the contradiction of being in a cold environment in your undies, but the mittens are really the only thing that says "cold" to me and the goggles and pose doesn't really help. Anyway... like the others, I am curious for future images though. I have never gotten up the nerve to do a 52 or 365 project. Keep it up!
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
    edited January 7, 2013
    PhilD41 wrote: »
    So it almost made sense to me. Then I realized I had "seen" the wrong image. I originally thought you have swimming goggles on. Someone in swimming gear would certainly contradict the woodland environment. Then I realized you have ski goggles on with mittens. I guess I still see the contradiction of being in a cold environment in your undies, but the mittens are really the only thing that says "cold" to me and the goggles and pose doesn't really help. Anyway... like the others, I am curious for future images though. I have never gotten up the nerve to do a 52 or 365 project. Keep it up!

OH... those are mittens! I thought it was a cast on his hand/arm. Makes a little more sense now. Just a little though. mwink.gif

My Smug Site
    edited January 7, 2013
    Yes they are ski goggles and ski gloves. The name "Contradiction" was meant to portray the feeling of coldness with the pose and goggles/gloves. Yet nothing on but my undergarments. As I said, first attempt at a real self portrait with some kind of meaning behind it. Hopefully they get better throughout the year!
    edited January 8, 2013
    :) That is the point of a year project, looking forward to see how you improve!
    -~= Philip =~-
  • karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    Nice work dude - I am back at school this year for some study of Photography - we are going to be working on self portraits - I think I am looking forward to it ..lol
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site
    edited January 21, 2013
    Thank Karl!

Here is my newest one. I am one week behind already(was loving snowboarding to much to worry about a self portrait). I will catch up with an extra in the coming weeks. You can view it on my Flickr page if you like HERE and see my meaning behind the photo.

8404272576_afc14c5c93_c.jpg
    edited January 21, 2013
    I like this one much better than the first one. Then again, I am a big fan of the Odyssey! I really like the lighting and the shadow on the wall. Reminds me some of my own stint in college. Well done!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -~= Philip =~-
    edited January 22, 2013
    Thanks PhilD! I am 78 pages into the Odyssey at the moment for class and freaking love it. Then again, I love all things from the reign of Greece era. Looking forward to the rest of it!

Also, the shadow on the wall, I was trying to get rid of it at first. But then I realized that it added to the effect of stories and imaginations, with peter pans shadow and all.
  • LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    I like the second picture, nice lighting.

Marcelo
    edited January 22, 2013
    Nice. Like this one much, much better. And I'm glad you left the shadow. I think it wouldn't be the same photo without it.

My Smug Site
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    I'm late to this thread sorry.

The first one has no general impact on me. I can overlook technical details, color details etc if the photograph grabs my attention but this one doesn't for me. After my eye traveling to the brightest spot, his back, it then is drawn to all the vertical lines in contradiction to the one horizontal tree line.

On the second one I do like the color and lighting, nice job. Don't like the crotch shot and leg distortion.
    edited January 22, 2013
    Thanks for the comments and critiques! Definitely more satisfied with the second self portrait.

Hackbone, I actually put in a tiny bit of extra distortion in post for the legs. I felt it added to the meaning of magical, adventure, creatures, and all around odd things that stories can portray.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    Thanks for the comments and critiques! Definitely more satisfied with the second self portrait.

Hackbone, I actually put in a tiny bit of extra distortion in post for the legs. I felt it added to the meaning of magical, adventure, creatures, and all around odd things that stories can portray.

Then you met you idea!!
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    The 2nd one is much better. It stands on its own and doesn't need a lengthy explaination. I didn't fully get the 1st until there were a lot of words put around it. Good luck with the project and am looking forward to seeing these...
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
    edited February 9, 2013
    Here is another self portrait. I am of course behind on the weekly schedule but I will keep them coming!

This one doesnt really have a story or theme behind it. I assisted an awesome photographer last weekend that prefers harsh direct lighting on the subjects for some major harsh shadows. He mainly deals with black & white portraits. And man do I love them. I thought I would give it a shot myself. I wish I had more room to get a little wider and more of the shadow, but had to crop it because of furniture right there(small dorms are small!)

Let me know what you think of this one!

8459421699_7c29657759_c.jpg
    edited March 11, 2013
    Here is another from tonight. My first attempt at a composite image! Got my intuos5 in the other day and freaking loving it!

8547275730_c539b82b3d_z.jpg