3-D flower macros

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited November 26, 2005 in Holy Macro
Some stereo flower macros.
Slightly defocus and cross your eyes until a third image forms in the middle- then try to relax your eyes whilst your brain grabs the 3-D image- it's worth the effort and once you have succeeded, like riding a bike, it's easy after..
Hope you enjoy
Brian V.

Hibiscus Anther/stamen focus stacked from 6 pics each

45799027-L.jpg

Orchid focus stacked 4 pics each.

66428428_9fcd7e4230_o.jpg

Hibiscus flower focus stacked 3 pics each

66192740_a449621a77_o.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    Awwwww Darn It
    Some stereo flower macros.
    Slightly defocus and cross your eyes until a third image forms in the middle- then try to relax your eyes whilst your brain grabs the 3-D image- it's worth the effort and once you have succeeded, like riding a bike, it's easy after..
    Hope you enjoy
    Brian V.
    Hibiscus Anther/stamen focus stacked from 6 pics each
    Orchid focus stacked 4 pics each.
    Hibiscus flower focus stacked 3 pics each
    Brian I love your Macro shots but I just cannot see these images the way they are intented to be viewed, your stacking technique works beautifully for you, producing really crisp clean images....... I dunno if it's because I wear glasses or what ?? but I cannot make them merge.
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    Those are awesome! My favorite, the Hibiscus Anther/stamen in 3D is out
    of this world. I'm quessing you use a dual camera setup to get the separation,
    but in macro? Miniture camers?
    Thanks for sharing.
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Brian I love your Macro shots but I just cannot see these images the way they are intented to be viewed, your stacking technique works beautifully for you, producing really crisp clean images....... I dunno if it's because I wear glasses or what ?? but I cannot make them merge.
    Skippy (Australia)
    Thanks for the comments skippy.
    I have to wear reading glasses at the PC, but it looks as if only about 50% of viewers can see these. Shame because when you do get them the result is quite stunning- it's almost worth the pain of trying :)
    I originally tried it with macros just to see if it could be done, not sure it's worth it with most bugs (still got to try a dragonfly- but that will have to wait till next year. Macro flowers though seem to work well- helps sort out the complexities of the shapes.
    Brian V.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    Allen wrote:
    Those are awesome! My favorite, the Hibiscus Anther/stamen in 3D is out
    of this world. I'm quessing you use a dual camera setup to get the separation,
    but in macro? Miniture camers?
    Thanks for sharing.
    AL
    Thanks Al, happy someone else can see the 3-D.
    No stereo camera just my 300D, extenders and macro lens and a tripod. Just have to move the tripod a cm or two between shooting sessions. The 3-D seems to work very well with flowers fairly obviously because they are very 3-D objects with complex structures.
    Agree about the hibiscus anther/stamens- came out extremely well- you can see the spatial relationship of all the anthers :). The focus stacking helps here allowing them to be in focus in the first place.
    Brian V