DSS #120 Selective Color - CLOSED

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited January 21, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #120 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges.

This challenge is for all dgrin members.

It will run from Monday, January 7th, 2013 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, January 21, 2013 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The theme this round for your interpretation will be: Selective Color

Some love it some hate it, either way this challenge is about learning to be creative with selective coloring. When done properly it can create an emotionaly strong image. Be creative. The goal is to create a black and white image with just one focal point of color. It can be a muted color, or a strong color. Its up to you to decide. It can be done either by the set up before the picture is taken, or it can be done post editing. Again your choice!

BE CREATIVE: cause an emotion!

Here are some examples:

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.

There are no editing restrictions this round exept what is written above!

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

Gallery #120

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge
RULES.
Please note that there has been a rules wording change, so be sure you have re- read the rules!

Comments

• JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2013
    Sounds fun.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2013
    I like it!
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2013
    :ivar
    Permission to do the thing that so many photographers frown upon... Selective Color. This could be fun. I hope I find something that will work.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 9, 2013
    superduckz wrote: »
    I like it!

Just make sure your entry is taken within the challenge time frame!deal.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 9, 2013
    dnie wrote: »
    :ivar
    Permission to do the thing that so many photographers frown upon... Selective Color. This could be fun. I hope I find something that will work.

one of the reasons I chose this particular theme! Exploring new processes in how we think about things is good.:D
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2013
    JAG wrote: »
    Just make sure your entry is taken within the challenge time frame!deal.gif

Darnit. I'm getting my challenges mixed up. I'll sort it out. Sorry bout that.
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    JAG wrote: »
    one of the reasons I chose this particular theme! Exploring new processes in how we think about things is good.:D

I've been looking for different ideas ... I found a couple of cool items that might work. .. maybe! eek7.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • GeekGeek Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2013
    I have a question about EXIF data... I took my photo yesterday and I edited my photo yesterday.. but the EXIF data says I edited it something like 28 seconds after I took it. Where does EXIF get the modified time/date from? I didn't edit it until maybe 20 minutes after I took it.

Anyone know why? headscratch.gif

p.s. please let me know if you need the original image to verify date - I had the camera on motordrive so I have about 20 images all taken in sequence at the exact same time.
    cheers,
    Edward in Colorado
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,933 moderator
    edited January 20, 2013
    Either the camera or the editing software. The edit software, obviously, gets it from the computer.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2013
    Heads up!
    Closing time extended.

I am letting you know now that we will be extending the closing time for this round.
    Now is your chance to get your last minute idea done. I have a meeting scheduled this evening and will likely not be back to close the challenge until after 11pm pacific.

This means you have at least 3 extra hours to come up with a colorful selection.

I plan on posting the new challenge early but the time frame for shooting will still be the regular times.

Have fun getting your last minute shots done.