Options

Lost photos from Shoot

EikonfotoEikonfoto Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 10, 2013 in The Big Picture
I have experienced something for the first time and am looking for the best way to handle it. I shot a soccer team shoot yesterday and somehow, I do not have the team photos on any of the memory cards i took. I have the photos from the game itself, but not the ones of the team prior. I had switched memory cards and I think I may have accidentally formatted the card on the fly with the team pictures.

Anyway, does any one have any tips on how to handle this with the team? I am more than willing to go out and shoot again, but I feel like it will be such an inconvenience to the coach/players. Any help would be appreciated.

Note: The parent who helped coordinate this event is actually a coworker at my daytime job and she will most likely get the reaction of parents along with any pushback from coach.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited January 8, 2013
    My advice would be first to decide how important the files are. If they are important to you, you might consider sending the card to a professional. Contact them for instructions on how to proceed.

If these are images you could re-shoot, then try using your manufacturers recovery software on the formatted card.

If you formatted the card and used it, it's likely you won't be able to recover much-if anything.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2013
    Step # 1 - copy ALL the images off the card in question onto your computer.
    Step # 2 - try this http://www.piriform.com/recuva
    Step # 3 - pray...
    Step # 4 - there are many other (more $$$ options). But trust me, if you formatted the card and DID NOT use it after that - you have a good chance of recovering. If you DID use it (thus overwriting images) after formatting, chances are much lower. IF you do nto really know what you are doing with the recovering software - I suggest contact a professional.
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2013
    Like said, when you delete something, from your computer, camera, hard drive, etc, the files are not actually erased until you make new files overtop of the old ones. There is no way to truly erase data, you are making new data over old data. Chances are that you can recover most of the photos with recovery software, unless you totally filled the card with new photos.
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2013
    Eikonfoto wrote: »

Anyway, does any one have any tips on how to handle this with the team? I am more than willing to go out and shoot again, but I feel like it will be such an inconvenience to the coach/players. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Honesty is the best policy.

2. Humor. A Spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.

3. Refund. Nothing trumps cash.

4. Reputation. All of this is about your rep. You want your rep to maintain or improve. It can improve if you handle this correctly.

On the off hand chance you didn't charge anything, well they've already gotten their monies worth.

And DO NOT worry over them pushing back or what their immediate reaction is. If you're honest about what you perceive to be your mistake, that is all you can do about their emotional reaction. The truth does indeed sometimes hurt.

Good Luck~
    tom wise
  • Options
    110yd110yd Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 10, 2013
    Your mileage may vary, but this has saved me more than once.
    http://www.lc-tech.com/pc/sandisk-rescuepro-and-rescuepro-deluxe/

There are other tools that do (or attempt) the same thing. Rescue Pro has worked for me on two occasions.

Regards,

110yd
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    I have real good luck with Image rescue from Lexar...I got mine almost 10yrs ago on a 2gb Pro card...most
    recover software runs around $40, I think of it as an Futures Investment...

God Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website