Options

Minnesota bricks & mortar store recc?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 26, 2013 in Cameras
A friend of a friend is doing an Antarctica trip and asked about cameras. I recco'd (to the friend who asked me) that FoF go to a knowledgeable bricks and mortar store to road test and talk to somebody who knows what they're talking about as far as a weather-appropriate model - anybody have a recommendation in the Rochester and/or Twin Cities areas?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2013
    In Minneapolis go to West Photo.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2013
    Thanks!
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2013
    There isn't much of anything in Rochester anymore, West Photo in Minneapolis is good and I've had positive experiences with National Camera Exchange, just not the one downtown. Roseville and Golden Valley locations are well staffed.
  • Options
    MolsondogMolsondog Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2013
    National Camera in Golden Valley and West Photo. No one else counts.
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2013
    Well, if the two people with northern beer companies in their names agree, it must be so! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    rtbaumrtbaum Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2013
    National Camera Exchange in Golden Valley would be my choice
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2013
    thanks!!
  • Options
    OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2013
    Not that Cold
    If you go in the summer (our winter) the temps seem about the same as for the northern US. Of course wind chill makes it feel colder. Wind chill does not effect objects that don't have feeling like a camera. the winter would be more of a concern.

You can get the weather report here: http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/AA/McMurdo.html

I was up very close to the North Pole (within 500 miles) last summer and it did not get below 20 F

When you go to the store to ask, it will be better if you can tell them the temperature range you need rather than the location

I would suspect that almost any camera from point / Shoot to Cannon will be ok.

What will be effected is battery life so have at least 2 or three so some are charging while the others are being used.

Have fun it will be a great trip.