Which one?

diamondmaskdiamondmask Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
edited January 15, 2013 in Cameras
I'm looking to upgrade my canon 30D to a FF Canon. I'm torn between the 5d ii and iii.

I take mostly static shots, architectural, landscapes, macro, family, and low light. Very little if any action type photography.

I've heard of the ii having problems focusing in low light, but I'm not sure how real or pronounced the "problem" is.

I haven't heard anything bad about the iii except the price.

I guess my dilemma is do I buy the most camera I can while I can or buy down and save for better lenses. Currently, there is a kit for both cameras with a 70-105 L lens. I don't own any other L glass. And, was bummed to learn that two of my lenses I have for the 30D won't work on a FF.

Anyway, I'd love to read your thoughts and opinions.... (you can see what I normally take photos of. Look for "diamondmask".

Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited January 8, 2013
    The AF technology for One Shot AF is fairly similar between the Canon 30D and the 5D MKII, so you can probably use your own experience to help with your decision. In other words, if you felt that the 30D was "not that bad", you will probably have similar feelings about the 5D MKII.

I have a Canon 5D MKII and I use it for scenics, landscapes and portraiture. It works just fine for those things and I'm not in a hurry to upgrade for those applications.

If you do use the camera indoors, I strongly recommend using a flash with an AF assist light to assist the AF speed and accuracy. A Sigma DG Super flash works great for that purpose and costs around 1/2 of a similar Canon flash.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2013
    I'm looking to upgrade my canon 30D to a FF Canon. I'm torn between the 5d ii and iii.

I take mostly static shots, architectural, landscapes, macro, family, and low light. Very little if any action type photography.

I've heard of the ii having problems focusing in low light, but I'm not sure how real or pronounced the "problem" is.

I guess my dilemma is do I buy the most camera I can while I can or buy down and save for better lenses. Currently, there is a kit for both cameras with a 70-105 L lens. I don't own any other L glass. And, was bummed to learn that two of my lenses I have for the 30D won't work on a FF.

Anyway, I'd love to read your thoughts and opinions.... (you can see what I normally take photos of. Look for "diamondmask".

Thanks!

Used 5dMk2 and then buy glass with money left over.

Also, diamondmask? easier if you give a link!
    tom wise
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2013

Thanks!

5D3 if you have the budget, the older 5D2 was looking good when Canon was selling them for $1,300
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2013
    Personally if you can afford it, I would easily go for the Mark III. I had the II, hated the focusing and the "old" feel to it.

Got the Mark III and WOW! It is a huge upgrade, one that I think is worth more than the price difference.

Michael Bonocore
    www.mb-photography-sf.com
    www.facebook.com/mbonocore
    plus.mb-photography-sf.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2013
    6d?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 14, 2013
    For static shots, one can always focus manually in Live View mode on either of the 5D versions II or III.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • AlexSharkAlexShark Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2013
    The answer to the original question is research! Take a look at http://www.the-digital-picture.com/ -- this is my prime source of all things Canon. I don't buy a thing without looking there first. The relevant review provides a rather informative comparison between Mk2 and Mk3. My opinion is: 1. 5D Mk3 is currently the best bang for the buck and is there to stay for years unless there's a sensor revolution; 2. EF 24-70/2.8L is superior to EF 24-105/4L IS -- just compare the shots of the ISO test charts on the same website.

Good luck!
    Photography is about what does not meet the eye
    Be my guest: Alex Braverman Photography