This week's gal (C&C)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 20, 2013 in People
Hi folks!

I know I've been a bit quiet - lots of mini-emergencies to deal with (concussed Mini-D, puppy collapsed out of nowhere on NY day - fine thankfully, but we've spent a lot of time in various ER's in the last 3 weeks!!) and just continuing busy across the (alleged!) break. Whoosh. Still checking threads even when no time to comment - some fun work from everybody, as always!

Anyway, first shoot of the year was on Monday. Sweet young singer, but a tricky session.

Problem #1: she's a "pants mezzo" (ie the roles she sings are the young-guy-sung-by-a-woman roles that are all over opera), but she only brought gowns to wear. No problem with her looking feminine - and I usually recommend to my mezzo clients that we try to balance projecting their "type" with a good feminine look - but she didn't give me any real options to offer both.

Problem #2: one-shoulder dress. These are a PITA to shoot in headshots: if you shoot from the bare side they look too naked and if you shoot from the shoulder side (which usually has some kind of frou-frou on it) it's just weird. I'm considering banning them from now on.

Problem #3: I think she has strong ideas about what she wants, but she's young and inexperienced (especially in front of the camera), this is her first set of headshots, and she had a lot of trouble articulating what she was hoping to see/project. I have NO IDEA if I've got anything she likes (she hasn't seen them yet), so it will be interesting to see if I guessed right. I've tried to give her a mix of things, but felt like I was really shooting blind since she was quite reserved, too.

Problem #4: she's convinced she's overweight (she's not - she's not a stick figure, but she isn't in any way fat) and kept asking me not to include ANY of her body in the images.

I think from now on I'm saying NO to one-shoulder dresses, and I'm going to make all clients bring me one photo of themselves they LOVE and one that they HATE, if only to give me some ideas - my psychic powers felt taxed on this one.............

Anyway, some of the shots I like and have worked up before I send her the proof set .... C&C always welcome!

1. She fought me on a stronger red lipstick with the dress; I would love to see this with bright Revlon Red lips, but at least I got her to put on a little more. I could tweak it further in PS, but I want to judge her reaction first....

i-FTSRtB4-L.jpg

And since she kept asking for close crops....

1b (always amazes me how much the crop and tilt change the shot into something with a totally different feel)

i-XXT5dGz-L.jpg

2. Going with the formal feel of the clothes she brought.... (btw, I know some will hate that strand of hair, but I left it because I liked it...)

i-PGQFnQz-L.jpg

This dress was the closest she had to anything tailored (it's actually a cocktail dress, but the neckline/bodice was simple). I also have finally figured out a way of doing no-need-to-boost-the-background-in-post HK in my living room! Three flashes makes all the difference....

3 Was trying for a good "all rounder" shot that she can use for role submissions; not sure if I achieved it or not :dunno

i-PxxCwPS-L.jpg

4. Had fun playing with the hair dryer!!

i-8QJpZfs-L.jpg

5. Not sure if I can live with the shadow on this, but it was about the only truly different look/expression I coaxed out of her. Plus, it slims down her face which I suspect she'll like (her face isn't fat, but she has very wide - beautiful, IMO! - cheekbones) (ETA: I may dial the skinwork down on this one too - looks a little much now I see it here)

i-j2bKcDL-L.jpg

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2013
    I'm loving the first three. I like the dress. Maybe whiten her teeth a smidge?

4 seems a bit off. Maybe some spill from the background?
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    Thanks Mitchell! Yes, I should tweak the contrast on her hair a little; my bg lights were flagged, but the space is so small that spill is pretty much inevitable if I'm going to get the light behind - I just can't pull the subject any further forward. Oh, for space!!!

Also agree with teeth - well spotted. Thank you! :)
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    Cute shots. On my monitor they look soft as if wide open and the focus was missed by a hair. Any particular reason for the hight camera angle?
    edited January 10, 2013
    Hmmmm..... the originals are tack sharp. Was the 5dII + 85 1.8 shooting at f4.0-5.6 so more depth of field than I sometimes go for (got the feeling she wanted a less arty and more traditional shot). Maybe I used a little too much NR in Lightroom (I use some for skin texture rather than NR, and maybe I overdid it a tad)? Dunno. Will double check!

Most of them were only a hair from above (she was on a bench that's a little below normal chair height), but I did a few - including #3 - from higher just to see what it would give me; I liked the results, hence why I posted it..... Does it seem too high?
  • MeurycMeuryc Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    3 and 5 are my favorites, with 5 being my top choice. The fog in 4 made me blink a few times to be sure my eyes weren't dried out again. I like the shadow in 5 but that is probably because I am used to seeing my daughter with her hair like that. Great work as always, and I second the ban on one shoulder dresses. I also really like the idea of bringing two pictures to the shoot, if I ever photograph someone I am not related to I will borrow that idea.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    I'll echo most of the already made comments, but I'm bothered by the neck-flesh fold in #2. If she thinks she's fat (good grief) she sure won't like that. Personally, I think you handled the off-shoulder dress quite well. I find it attractive. I really like #3.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited January 10, 2013
    Oooohhh... good catch John. And an easy fix (and fortunately the only shot in the set where her hair cleared her neck; it's not visible in any others).

About to send her proof set, so we'll see what she likes. Fingers crossed - I've never felt so uncertain about a batch of shots, simply because I have *no idea* what she was hoping for..... ne_nau.gif
    edited January 12, 2013
    Man, bad day with these - I sent her a teaser this morning and she HATED it. And announces -f or the first time during the whole process - "Oh, I'm really picky about pictures of myself. I hate X, Y, Z etc etc". Um ... maybe it would have been nice to mention those things during the shoot?!?!?

Fortunately, she found 6 shots in the set for a shortlist, and has asked me to work up three. So relieved - I've never had anybody actively hate a shot I picked before, even if it wasn't one of their own first choices. :whew

I will say, however, that this experience is making me consider having clients not only bring me a photo they love and one they hate, but fill out a questionnaire so I have SOME idea what they want. Need to think about that.................
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    I love the 1st three. The rest have too much light spill that I can't get past. This gal sounds like a tough one Diva. Glad that it sounds like it's working out.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2013
    Very nice set of pictures, my favorites are 1-2 & 4.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2013
    I like the first 3 (1, 1b, 2) as well with the red dress and background. Particularly like 1 and 2. For no particular reason I don't like the flare in 4 and 5. I think my favorites are 1 and 2 with 1 as best. I don't see 'overweight' or 'fat' in any of them. As to the lipstick color in #1 I think it looks natural and good but agree the teeth could be whitened a bit. She needs to learn to trust her photographer!
    edited January 14, 2013
    Thanks guys!! iloveyou.gif
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2013
    I can't possibly imagine what she would hate about these. i think 1a and 5 are fantastic.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2013
    I think Diva is just dealing with a very insecure person. Too bad, but she just doesn't see "lovely" when she looks in the mirror or at a photo of herself. ne_nau.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited January 20, 2013
    1a was the one I sent as a teasher that she hated. I thought that was one was really cute for personality, but she didn't like it at all....

Fortunately, she was ecstatic with the final images. Here's what she chose:

A. I gave her multiple crops on this one, and I really like this tight-in version

i-TJNR4Sv-L.jpg

B. This was her second choice.

i-kfbmTCQ-L.jpg

She's happy, and it's given me a lot of food for thought about how to prep young clients who really aren't sure what to expect - I do understand that first time out this can be intimidating and not what one expects, so it's up to me to demystify that further. I DO give a lot of information before the shoot, but clearly I need to give more (or a different kind). I definitely think a questionnaire of some kind is a good idea so I can get more information about how THEY see themselves, although I haven't figured out how to implement that yet..............