Hi, i'm new to Digital Grin...

Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
edited February 8, 2013 in People
... and comming from another Photographer forum I feel more home here. I creeped around for sometime prior to commiting. Picked up my first DSLR about a year ago. I do have a Visual Communications Degree so I know my way around the fancy softwares and have taught myself LR4 (which for the most part I prefer).Checked to see if there was a "Introduction thread" which I didn't see so i'll share a couple shots from this past weekend w/ a cousin who felt a like getting infront of the lens. Got to practice w/ strobes and she gets what I hope can be considered decent pics. Shot w/ a Canon 60D / Canon 50mm 1.4 against neutral grey seamless

8328033205_8089efea54.jpg

I did a series of photos so while editing I got a little edgy of the repetitiveness and decided to take a break and do a PS comp totally different then the set I was intendiing to give her. She loved the surprise probably cause it just gives off her personality I guess. Inspiration came from the Jokers makeup in the "Dark Night" which I just got around to watch the night before.

8359441599_471ba380b5.jpg

I would love some C&C being im still learning and w/ some great photographers who's work I have seen on here i'm sure I can learn alot. Thanks

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2013
    Hello Gaby. Welcome to Dgrin and the People forum. Glad to have you on board.

I love that second shot. Very cool and pretty good PP work. I like the first but the lighting seems off. Did you broad light her on this shot? IOW, did you have the main on the same side as the hand? Looks like it. May have worked better if you had the light on the opposite side, short light, so that the hand is not so bright but also so it doesn't cast the shadow on her face.

Good first post though. Looking to seeing more from you.

- Alex

OH... btw... Cuba y Puerto Rico son, de un pajaro las dos alas!

For the non-Spanish speakers, that says "Cuba and Puerto Rico are the two wings of a bird."
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    I like the first but the lighting seems off. Did you broad light her on this shot? IOW, did you have the main on the same side as the hand?

You are correct. This was one of about 250 shots we did so it wasn't a intential pose just one that came about. If This was the look I was trying to nail I may have paid more attention to the light effect or maybe if I had used a reflector I could have softened that arm shadow but it was all in fun and like mentioned i'm still learning everyday.
    I love that second shot. Very cool and pretty good PP work

8367721698_9bfeaf1d32.jpg

This was my favorite out of like the 5 versions I had. She chose the lighter/more natural one I posted in my first post. I guess my fave was little to gritty and hard...lol. Thanks again
  • VagebondVagebond Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    Hi Gaby. I'm not even an amateur yet, but just today I came across a Youtube film by Peter Hurley titled 'It's all about the jaw!' I don't mean it as criticism, because your first portrait is lovely, but it did remind me of what Hurley taught in the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe3oJnFtA_k

It starts with a little talk and around the 8:47 mark there's a demo with a model that your portrait reminded me of. Something to be filed away until it might really be needed perhaps.
    Again, I like both portraits.
    edited January 10, 2013
    Thanks Vagebond... love how simple techniques can make such a difference.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 10, 2013
    Glad to have you aboard!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    Hi, Gaby! Welcome. I'm one of the resident grammar nazis. Just curious whether you really "creeped around," which in contemporary culture will get you slapped silly, or "crept around" quietly 'till you felt it was time to show yourself? :D

Sorry. It's a compulsion.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    Welcome and love the overlay.
  • coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    Welcome - the 2nd shot is so cool !
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2013
    Hi Gaby and welcome to drin.

Chuck Cassidy,
    D300S, 50mm 1.4D,
    www.icurdigital.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
    edited February 7, 2013
    Going through some edits and wanted to share this B&W photo w/ you guys.

8453986905_1510f31da9_z.jpg
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Welcome Gaby. Really terrific start with this work.

This is a terrific board and, if you'd like to learn a ton without getting too beat up, just watch what happens when I post a series. Laughing.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Welcome. I agree the overlay is terrific.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Gaby,

On that last one, lighting ratios are a bit too flat for my taste. I'd like to see the shadows a bit darker.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited February 8, 2013
    Gaby,

On that last one, lighting ratios are a bit too flat for my taste. I'd like to see the shadows a bit darker.

Yeah im still green when it comes to strobe lighting, actually your sticky has helped a lot to understand positioning and outcomes. I have yet picked up a meter. a lot of just eyeballing i guess. maybe i can bring shadows out in lr and see how it looks.