Prepping for vacation some advice is needed

Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
edited January 12, 2013 in Wildlife
Later this year I am going to be flying to Fort Myers Fla. I want to take my Canon 50-D
Canon IS L Series 28-135 IS Macro and 70-200 lenses. Problem is I have never flown with my camera equipment and do not have a clue as what I need to do with it as far as packing and what to be aware of regarding X-Ray ect.

Sure would appreciate also any advice and suggestions regarding where to go near Port Charlotte for wildlife photos. I was not sure where to post this here so I apologize if this is not the right section. :dunno

Thanks for any help on this matter,

Best

Spinner :D

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    AFAIK, X-ray shouldn't be problem for digital gear. In the old days of film, some said that most X-ray machines (in the US anyway) were too weak to expose film. But you could always ask to have that particular bag hand inspected. Assume you're already planning to put your gear in some sort of carry-on bag. I try to avoid having any camera gear in checked baggage.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    spinner
    I am sorry to report our main attraction is Slated to close for the summer of 2013. Ding Darling NWR. Is scheduled for repaving May-Sept 2013. There are many other choices , Ft, Desoto. Near St. Pete is a favorite of mine. Venice rookery is popular, The Sanibel Thriller can provide some excellent surfing Dolphin Shots,
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2013
    I travel fairly frequently with my cameras. The key is to find a good camera bag that carries your gear safely and that you can carry comfortably. Also to make sure it is easy to load and unload if TSA asks to look in it. I took all my gear to the "local" camera store to figure out my bag choice and purchased a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60. The main reason I went with that is that it will fit under the seat in front of me. Plan on placing the bag under the seat in front of you, that is one of the most consistently sized spaces and also has the advantage of being "assigned" or "reserved" for you. You could much likely get away with a smaller bag, but I purchased on with room to expand.

I would recommend writing down everything you need for your "go" bag vso that you don't forget to include something when picking the size. Do you have filters? Flash? Cleaning Supplies? Charger? Battery? ... etc.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    Got it and thanks a lot. Going to us my OnePolar camera backpack as a carry on. Last thing one needs is problems when doing something new that's why I asked about this here and your help is appreciated.

Spinner :D