My Canon 6D Verdict: WAY better than everybody thought!

Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
edited February 4, 2013 in Cameras
I just finished reviewing the Canon 6D; you can read it here: http://www.slrlounge.com/canon-eos-6d-dslr-review-and-field-test-canons-highest-quality-dslr-yet

The bottom line is, I loved it. And I'm a Nikon shooter too, and I also recently reviewed the incredible D600.

It may not have that last bit of cutting edge performance that a high-action pro would demand, but for anything less than the most serious envelope pushing I found that it was an incredible pleasure to use, and if I were a Canon shooter I'd make this my number one camera for sure. Of course this is mostly because my main passions are outdoor, adventure, star trail, time lapse, etc. types of photography. This is what the 6D is most perfectly designed for.

As a wedding or portrait photographer, the limitations become a bit more noticeable, however I found the center AF point to be leaps and bounds beyond whatever was in the 5D mk2. Clearly, Canon did much more than add two non-cross off-center points to the original mk2 9-point AF. Even though I would probably also still require a 5D mk3 to get the more demanding parts of my job done, I would reach for the 6D as often as possible because I enjoy it that much.

i-FDn5zbP.jpg

Take care,
=Matt=
My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum

Comments

• billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    I just finished reviewing the Canon 6D; you can read it here: http://www.slrlounge.com/canon-eos-6d-dslr-review-and-field-test-canons-highest-quality-dslr-yet

=Matt=

I have to admit I wasn't too impressed with the 6D when it was announced. I thought of it as just Canon's cheap full frame camera. However, now that it is out, I'm much more impressed. The high-ISO noise and low-light AF are big improvements over the 5D2.
    - Bill
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    Interesting. I'm not sorry I picked up the 5dII (and still plan to upgrade to the III at first opportunity) but good to hear that the 6d is a way better performer than its paper specs. I will admit that the change in controls would really bug me - I've handled the 60d and absolutely HATE the non-joystick. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but one of the reasons I stick with Canon is because I like the joystick setup. Sure, I could adapt.... but I don't really want to have to :D
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2013
    billythek wrote: »
    I have to admit I wasn't too impressed with the 6D when it was announced. I thought of it as just Canon's cheap full frame camera. However, now that it is out, I'm much more impressed. The high-ISO noise and low-light AF are big improvements over the 5D2.

I just wish it was cheaper
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited January 13, 2013
    Brett1000 wrote: »

The Canon 6D is one of the least expensive full-frame (FF) dSLRs on the market. Compared to the cost of Canon's best full frame lenses, it's really not that bad at all. ne_nau.gif

Depending upon your uses and intentions, you can buy a gently used original Canon 5D for around $700USD. That will get you most of the benefits of FF regarding DOF control, and it's still a very competent body for landscapes and portraiture.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    Interesting. I'm not sorry I picked up the 5dII (and still plan to upgrade to the III at first opportunity) but good to hear that the 6d is a way better performer than its paper specs. I will admit that the change in controls would really bug me - I've handled the 60d and absolutely HATE the non-joystick. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but one of the reasons I stick with Canon is because I like the joystick setup. Sure, I could adapt.... but I don't really want to have to :D

The 6D has a slight edge in high ISO noise over the 5D3. And the 6D center AF point is better in lower light than the 5D3. But the 5D3 is pretty good in both of those areas, and has a lot of other advantages, like the overall AF system, that I'm not considering trading in the 5D3 for the 6D.

I use an eyefi card on my 5D3, which allows me to review shots in the field on my ipad mini in real time. I've gotten very used to that, and find it handy. Great for taking pictures at a gathering while the subjects watch on the ipad. Also good for checking focus. The WIFI on the 6D can also do that, and does a little more than just review, it allows you to change some camera settings and trigger the shutter from your mobile device. That seems interesting, but I have yet to find an application for it in my own photography.
    - Bill
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2013

Wait 6-12 months, and buy one used for $1500. Heck, it has already on sale for $1999 for a while back around Christmas, and I bet it will return to that price soon.

=Matt=
  • Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2013
    Wait 6-12 months, and buy one used for $1500. Heck, it has already on sale for $1999 for a while back around Christmas, and I bet it will return to that price soon.

=Matt=

Yes, my plan is to 'struggle' on with my 5D2 and 5DC for another year. Then I have 2 options:

1. A pair of 6Ds ad a good price

2. Complete system change to Fuji X. This is dependent on them bringing out updates to the XPro /X-E1 with the new phase detect AF. I would also like Aperture support for the camera, but a switch to Lightroom is not out of the question.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2013
    Stuart-M wrote: »
    Yes, my plan is to 'struggle' on with my 5D2 and 5DC for another year. Then I have 2 options:

1. A pair of 6Ds ad a good price

2. Complete system change to Fuji X. This is dependent on them bringing out updates to the XPro /X-E1 with the new phase detect AF. I would also like Aperture support for the camera, but a switch to Lightroom is not out of the question.

As a "content creator' for SLRLounge.com, I am currently in the process of attempting to master Apple Aperture after having spent years with Lightroom and Bridge. I have to say, Aperture is nice but if speed and efficiency are your primary goals, Aperture is a dog. It feels like a glorified version of iPhoto, not a high-powered high-speed production tool for full-time professionals. Just my personal opinion though, as a post-production manager for hundreds of thousands of RAW images over the past few years... ;-)

=Matt=
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2013
    great review..I kept asking a question then you would answer it in the next paragraph.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited January 16, 2013
    As a "content creator' for SLRLounge.com, I am currently in the process of attempting to master Apple Aperture after having spent years with Lightroom and Bridge. I have to say, Aperture is nice but if speed and efficiency are your primary goals, Aperture is a dog. It feels like a glorified version of iPhoto, not a high-powered high-speed production tool for full-time professionals. Just my personal opinion though, as a post-production manager for hundreds of thousands of RAW images over the past few years... ;-)

=Matt=

Interesting to note. Unfortunately, I have many tens of thousands of images in my aperture library, so moving over isn't an easy thing to contemplate.

I find it very efficient for editing lots of photos myself, and can go from say 1500-2000 down to 3-400 fully edited images in a good day, which isn't bad. It runs pretty well on my 2 screen 8 Core Mac Pro though (I do video as well), but I'll admit it's a lot more sluggish on a laptop. It probably depends on the image size as well. Mine are between 12 and 21 MP, so it might be more of a problem with D800 files?

I have been using it from version 1.5, so maybe I'm just more used to it, and I could imagine the learning curve to be quite steep if you're new to it.

BTW, the interface is completely different to iPhoto (despite having the same database structure), so I'm not sure how you found it similar. Personally, I actually find Aperture more straight forward than iPhoto.

Still, Lightroom has a free trial I think, so I might try it again to see how it compares.
    edited January 16, 2013
    Interesting to note. Unfortunately, I have many tens of thousands of images in my aperture library, so moving over isn't an easy thing to contemplate.

I find it very efficient for editing lots of photos myself, and can go from say 1500-2000 down to 3-400 fully edited images in a good day, which isn't bad. It runs pretty well on my 2 screen 8 Core Mac Pro though (I do video as well), but I'll admit it's a lot more sluggish on a laptop. It probably depends on the image size as well. Mine are between 12 and 21 MP, so it might be more of a problem with D800 files?

I have been using it from version 1.5, so maybe I'm just more used to it, and I could imagine the learning curve to be quite steep if you're new to it.

BTW, the interface is completely different to iPhoto (despite having the same database structure), so I'm not sure how you found it similar. Personally, I actually find Aperture more straight forward than iPhoto.

Still, Lightroom has a free trial I think, so I might try it again to see how it compares.

If Aperture can save XMP files, then a transition would be pretty effortless. If not, then yeah it would be quite annoying.

Personally, for the work I do I end up creating a new catalog (library) for every single shoot I do, so I'm used to starting from scratch.

I hate large files too, even with the latest CPU's and SSD's and whatnot. Lightroom 4 is slower than Lightroom 3, but we're talking about speeds that are only noticeable when you try and cull at a rate of 2,000 photos per hour, and fully correct at a rate of 200-300 photos per hour... Anything less, and any lag times are un-noticeable.

I'm still very curious to Learn and master Aperture, of course. I think the quality of the image processing can speak for itself, and there are a few advantages over Lightroom when you sum it all up.

=Matt=
    edited January 17, 2013
    If Aperture can save XMP files, then a transition would be pretty effortless. If not, then yeah it would be quite annoying.

Personally, for the work I do I end up creating a new catalog (library) for every single shoot I do, so I'm used to starting from scratch.

I hate large files too, even with the latest CPU's and SSD's and whatnot. Lightroom 4 is slower than Lightroom 3, but we're talking about speeds that are only noticeable when you try and cull at a rate of 2,000 photos per hour, and fully correct at a rate of 200-300 photos per hour... Anything less, and any lag times are un-noticeable.

I'm still very curious to Learn and master Aperture, of course. I think the quality of the image processing can speak for itself, and there are a few advantages over Lightroom when you sum it all up.

=Matt=

There's some good training videos out there.

My process is as follows.

Import the Raws.

Apply standard adjustments (I have a set for indoors and another for outdoors), Takes about 5 minutes, but the processing takes longer in the background.

Then I go through making stacks with my favourite images at the top of each stack. I edit these images as I go, usually cropping and adjusting exposure, maybe WB also and sometimes curve adjustments or vignettes. This is the time consuming bit, and can take a day or so depending on the size of the wedding/job.

Then I might do some airbrushing type work on a few images (not many).

Create B&W versions of all the images (takes about 15 minutes or so to separate the B&W versions from the stacks).

Apply file names and keywords (2 mins)

Export to Zenfolio (overnight), and a smaller selection to blog/facebook

Also export JPEGs to disc for client (and copy for backup).

Backup overnight to aperture vault.

If it's a wedding (i.e. not my own personal images) I'll eventually bin the project after a few months to make space for new projects. The total library is around 2TB in size.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013

If it's a wedding (i.e. not my own personal images) I'll eventually bin the project after a few months to make space for new projects. The total library is around 2TB in size.

a good thing memory is cheaper !
    edited January 24, 2013
    a good thing memory is cheaper !

At the studio I work for, 2 TB is only enough to store about 1-2 months worth of images.

Of course we cull and delete RAW rejects, only keeping JPG versions of rejects in the long run, but that still causes us to consume ~5+ TB per year in archival storage.

Again, the volume and speed of our workflow is not the average workflow. I am interested in seeing how I could make Aperture work for such a high-volume, high-speed workflow, but we'll see...

=Matt=
    edited January 25, 2013

Again, the volume and speed of our workflow is not the average workflow. I am interested in seeing how I could make Aperture work for such a high-volume, high-speed workflow, but we'll see...

=Matt=

I work slightly differently, in that a few months after the wedding, I get rid of all the Raws (in fact I clear the project completely from Aperture), just keeping JPEGs of the keepers (on disc and on Zenfolio). This has the advantage of not requiring ever larger amounts of storage.

To work your way with aperture, I think the best way might be to create a new library each month. Once you've finished with all the weddings on it (several months later) you could just keep a vault backup of the library incase you ever need to go back to it.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    Wonderful write up Matt! Very detailed and answered just about every question I could think of. Definitely makes me wonder if whenever I upgrade one of my 5D2's at some point if I should still think 5D3 or 6D... right now not in a rush to change the bodies out since they still work pretty great and I shoot a lot less weddings in CA than I did in IN (personal choice, I keep busier with work and martial arts than I ever did before, so I chose to cut back on photo gigs so as to have a slight personal life, haha). But I still drool over the latest new goodies and this isn't any different :) I do have a few weddings later this year to shoot, so we'll see what I'm thinking after that... :)