Options

Lightroom Help please!!

jenniferannjenniferann Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited January 14, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
Hi, I am new to lightroom and trying to set up my preferences and import options, I just cannot find the "File Renaming" box, so I can rename my photos as I import them! Damn, I am stumped before I even begin! Yikes! Any help would be appreciated. I even bought a book, it shows the panel I want but not how to access the dang panel.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 12, 2013
    headscratch.gifscratchOne other question, I am used to using Bridge, when importing to I just "Add" or "Copy as DNG"? What does this actually mean? I thought I was working in RAW?
    So confused....
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    Hi, I am new to lightroom and trying to set up my preferences and import options, I just cannot find the "File Renaming" box, so I can rename my photos as I import them! Damn, I am stumped before I even begin! Yikes! Any help would be appreciated. I even bought a book, it shows the panel I want but not how to access the dang panel.

What version of LR are you running? In 4.3, you have 2 options. 1. Doing it manually or 2. Using Auto Import.

To do it manually, click on "File" then "Import Photos and Videos". A window opens up where you select where the photos are that you want to import. In that window, on the right side are the import options. There you have "File Handling", "File Renaming", "Apply During Import", and "Destination" options. With the File Renaming options, click on the dropdown menu aside of "Template" and select "Edit". Change it the way you want your files named, then click on the dropdown menu aside "Preset" at the top, and select "Save Current Settings as New Preset". You will then be asked to enter a name for it. Enter a name of your choice and then click on "Create", and your done. Then just make sure you have your newly created preset selected in the dropdown menu for the Template.

To use Auto Import, click on "File", "Auto Import", then "Auto Import Settings" and do basically the same thing as manually. If you created a preset manually, it will already be selected. You just need to set the rest up, and then check the "Enable Auto Import" check box.

Hope this helps.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    1) this is only possible when you select copy as DNG ( top of screen ) , or copy
    then in right pane you see the option file renaming

2 )
    add as DNG = you convert the RAW to DNG and store it somewhere ( else )

add = the image comes into your LR catalog as it is , nothing is changed at all , RAW remains as is , thats it
    i recommend this , especially if you want to work on RAW , but no renaming then
    if you want RAW , and you want to rename too , then choose copy
    not recommended , since RAWs are big ; copying them eats disk-space
    ( but you could do this if you copy from the card to your PC )

actually , LR catalog is the same as Bridge , it just looks different

edit
    you can change name after import
    in library , look in right pane / metadata
    click next to File Name
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2013
    headscratch.gifscratchOne other question, I am used to using Bridge, when importing to I just "Add" or "Copy as DNG"? What does this actually mean? I thought I was working in RAW?
    So confused....

Are you importing from a memory card or from a directory on your hard drive? If your importing from a memory card and want to put them on the hard drive, you select "Copy", and it will copy the files from the memory card to your hard drive and put them into the current LR library. If they are already on the hard drive and don't want duplicates, then you select "Add". "Copy as DNG" is the same as "Copy" but will copy the original RAW file with the DNG extension, which can save space on the hard drive because the sidecar file is embeded into the DNG file. The file size savings will vary on how you setup the DNG conversion.

Hope this answers your question.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2013
    basflt wrote: »
    1) this is only possible when you select copy as DNG ( top of screen ) , or copy
    then in right pane you see the option file renaming

2 )
    add as DNG = you convert the RAW to DNG and store it somewhere ( else )

add = the image comes into your LR catalog as it is , nothing is changed at all , RAW remains as is , thats it
    i recommend this , especially if you want to work on RAW , but no renaming then
    if you want RAW , and you want to rename too , then choose copy
    not recommended , since RAWs are big ; copying them eats disk-space
    ( but you could do this if you copy from the card to your PC )

actually , LR catalog is the same as Bridge , it just looks different

edit
    you can change name after import
    in library , look in right pane / metadata
    click next to File Name

I just double checked and you are correct on the Add part. But it is also available with "Move" as well.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2013
    Gary752 wrote: »
    I just double checked and you are correct on the Add part. But it is also available with "Move" as well.

GaryB
    yes , but that dont occur often

OP is new to Lightroom , so lets make it easy i think
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2013
    Thanks everyone, very very new to LR. I have version 4.3. I am importing right now from older files on
    my hard drive. So even though I import them into LR, I should not delete where they are on the hard drive? Just like Bridge correct? I am worried about losing my photos now!
    I am still very confused on what a dng file is? In Bridge I usually find the folder, select all the photos at once do a batch rename, and it numbers them and renames all of them for me, then I add my metadata copyright to all of them at once. I do not want to have to rename them one at a time. I bought a book, and thought it would explain the basics, but not so much!
    Yikes, I am ready to go back to Bridge! I think I want to use the "Add' to get my files into LR, but in the right pane there is no option to rename as I add them. I did figure out how set up a metadata template for my copyright info.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2013
    Another question. I usually work off my hard drive, renaming, tweaking and such. Then when I am done I move the folder onto my 2 backup drives and delete it from my hard drive. Is this still possible with LR or will I mess up the place it is going to look for the file. Should I move the folder first before I import? I really don't want to do that, I prefer to work off of the hard drive.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2013
    its better to first move to final drive
    there is no benefit for first your main drive and then move it again later

you must realize that there are no changes made to the RAW at all
    it remains as is , whatever you do in LR or PS

the changes you make are on your C: drive by default , wherever your RAWs are
    if you move the RAWs after editing , LR lose its link and get confused
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2013
    here a tip ;
    when in Library , go to > help > library tips
    the mentioned area's are highlighted right on your screen in yellow

when in Develop , the same ; help > develop tips
    same for the other modules
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2013
    I personally HATE importing direct from cards with Lightroom. I do it occasionally, but I still haven't been able to set it up to my liking. So, I import the way I always have (in my case via Picasa - very efficient and simple transfer tool), and then select "add to lightroom" when importing into the program's catalog. Simple, doesn't involve renaming or converting anything. Works for me!
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2013
    I also hate importing direct from cards. I would rather pull everything in and simply add to LR leaving the originals in place.

However if you are wanting to rename photos and using Windows, another option is to get a nifty little tool called Batch File Renamer. I usually use that when I screw up and allow the file numbers to wrap on itself during the same event. I also use it for all sorts of other things. I do websites and sometimes the photos or electronic material such as pdf's are not named web friendly. I can easily pull spaces, special characters from an entire directory wth a nice overview before it commits the changes. Just make sure you do this operation BEFORE importing to LR. lol

..and to the OP's second question. Yes... DO NOT delete your photos after importing! LR simply creates a database of changes to the photos. So all your develop settings, categories, ratings, metatags etc.. All that stuff is simply applied when you export or print and the original is untouched.