Sis in Law's family

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited January 14, 2013 in People
My wife's sister and her family are visiting. I took them out for a quick family session. WOW! Her boys are a handful and then some. I managed to get a few good photos including this one. She's out with my wife right now so she hasn't seen it. I think she's going to love it.

DSC_8537-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    nice clear photo.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    Is it too contrasty? I'm looking at it now and looks a bit too contrasty to me.

I've a had a few beers though so maybe it's the beer goggles.

My Smug Site
  • PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    Maybe a hair, but it wasn't my first though. I quite like it. The blacks loose a lot of detail, especially between the youngest boy and his mom. It doesn't really distract me though.
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    Looks great to me Alex. Light is nice, as is the background. Eyes appear sharp and seems like a nice natural pose, which sounds like may have been a challenge. Although, I may have a few beers myself a little latter. So will see how it looks with the beer goggles.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    Very pleasing shot. thumb.gif I agree with your concern about contrast. I think you just need to back off a wee bit on your black, and I'll guess that will take care of it. Will also separate the middle boy's shirt from Mom's jeans.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2013
    Thanks. Yeah, now that I've had even a few more beers, I can see that its a bit too punchy so I back it off just a tad:

DSC_8537-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
    edited January 12, 2013
    Perfect! - Looks like a very happy family!
    -~= Philip =~-
    edited January 13, 2013
    She is thinking of printing this in B&W. I prefer the color version but what do you all think of this conversion? Been a while since I really did any B&W so wanted to get some other eyes on it:

DSC_8537-Edit-Edit-5-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
    edited January 13, 2013
    I am with you, I like the color one better two. It looks good in B&W though. I will be honest, I don't have a good eye for B&W. I don't see anything distracting or blown out. There are so many ways to go with B&W and I tend to think each looks good, until I see something slightly different.
    -~= Philip =~-
  • LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2013
    Great picture, love the natural expressions and deep colors.

Regards.

Marcelo
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2013
    If I were going to use the B&W rendering, I'd crop tighter.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2013
    Although I prefer b&w over color in general I do like the color version better (maybe as suggested above the b&w might need a tighter crop). It seems she naturaly likes the b&w so I would suggest if you haven't already process both versions to give her cause it be a ashame for her to take the color and just print in b&w. Im not a pro or anything but I feel just converting a color image to b&w @ print doesn't have the same effect as originaly processing it in b&w.
    edited January 14, 2013
    PhilD41 wrote: »
    I am with you, I like the color one better two. It looks good in B&W though. I will be honest, I don't have a good eye for B&W. I don't see anything distracting or blown out. There are so many ways to go with B&W and I tend to think each looks good, until I see something slightly different.

Thanks Phil. Like I said, I prefer the color image for this one. I don't think there is enough color range in the background for B&W in this image. It really loses a lot of depth when converted. I've tried a couple of different conversions and nothing seems to "really" work. Tried the different channels and even blending conversion done on different channels and all just seem blah.
    Great picture, love the natural expressions and deep colors.

Regards.

Marcelo
    Icebear wrote: »
    If I were going to use the B&W rendering, I'd crop tighter.

Thanks Marcelo.
    Gaby617 wrote: »
    Although I prefer b&w over color in general I do like the color version better (maybe as suggested above the b&w might need a tighter crop). It seems she naturaly likes the b&w so I would suggest if you haven't already process both versions to give her cause it be a ashame for her to take the color and just print in b&w. Im not a pro or anything but I feel just converting a color image to b&w @ print doesn't have the same effect as originaly processing it in b&w.

Gaby... definitely will convert to B&W and give both images to print.

I actually have a different shot of them that I think works better in B&W. I'll post it up later with a few of the other shots.

My Smug Site