World On Its Ear

kixsandkixsand Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited January 17, 2013 in Street and Documentary
Hello,

Brand new here but have been delighted to see some great examples of "street" on the forum. I've been working hard to put in the time to improve in this difficult but incredibly rewarding genre of photography.

I captured this image at the corner of Yonge and Dundas streets in Toronto. This young couple was waiting to cross the intersection...

My title - World On Its Ear - is in reference to the composition that I chose for this shot...it seemed to me that the girl's efforts to span the distance to her beau could be causing the compositional tilt that this image has. I liked the idea that young love could turn the "World On Its Ear".

DSCF2721-Edit-XL.jpg
Darren

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2013
    Hey there,
    Yes young love will do that.
    I am very very drawn to capturing young love if only because it reminds me of the first time I fell in love and how it yanked out the rug from under me.
    So I am drawn to this, to her eyes closed, to her leaning in mouth a little open. I wish you had been able to capture their hands because from this angle it looks like she might be more into it than he is and I"m curious as to the hand placement.
    The tilt....If you had not explained why you chose to go with the tilt I would just say you screwed up the capture by tilting it, that's my automatic response. Did you mean to tilt it as you shot it?
    Did you notice it was tilted after the fact? just curious.
    The more I look at it though, the less the tilt bothers me and I'm just looking at the sweet young couple.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • kixsandkixsand Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2013
    Hey there,
    Yes young love will do that.
    I am very very drawn to capturing young love if only because it reminds me of the first time I fell in love and how it yanked out the rug from under me.
    So I am drawn to this, to her eyes closed, to her leaning in mouth a little open. I wish you had been able to capture their hands because from this angle it looks like she might be more into it than he is and I"m curious as to the hand placement.
    The tilt....If you had not explained why you chose to go with the tilt I would just say you screwed up the capture by tilting it, that's my automatic response. Did you mean to tilt it as you shot it?
    Did you notice it was tilted after the fact? just curious.
    The more I look at it though, the less the tilt bothers me and I'm just looking at the sweet young couple.

The original composition was reasonably square to the subject. I tilted it. In the original composition I had more of the hands, which were interlocked at the fingers...a good strong image but as soon as I straightened the image I was losing most of the hands. Playing with the composition I came to settle for this take on the scene for the reasons described...
    Darren
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2013
    Nice to see you here Darren. Nice to see this photo again as well. Enjoy the forum. Lots of experience and feedback to be gained hanging around this lot.mwink.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited January 15, 2013
    Patti wrote: »
    Nice to see you here Darren. Nice to see this photo again as well. Enjoy the forum. Lots of experience and feedback to be gained hanging around this lot.mwink.gif

Thanks Patti!

:D
    Darren
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2013
    Ya all that I get Tilted all the time :D

I'm Ok with this one, honestly wasn't at first but hey Love/Lust is such a chaotic adventure anyway!
    edited January 17, 2013
    Thanks Benjamin.

For me, I just felt that it took me back to that crazy, over the top, all consuming thrill of young love. What a terrific life stage that was!
    Darren
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2013
    Nice shot. And it's nice to see a shot from Toronto. One of my favorite cities.