Options

Printer asked me to make photos 254 dpi..why ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited November 25, 2005 in Technique
I finally printed some photos off for the 1st time but i was told that it would be dearer if the printer had to resize my photos from 500 dpi down to 254 dpi (pixels/inch).

I assumed more was better.

I asked them why & got a mixed sort of answer that i didnt understand. I got them back printed at the 254 & they look perfect to me anyway.

Gus

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    The native resolution of the printer is what dictates this. It's like this, say you are secretary who takes dictation and you can handle up to 254 words per minute. But now lets say the boss likes to rattle off 600 words per minutes. Words are going to get dropped.

So I make it a practice to send to any printer I use the native resolution of the printer. In my case that is 300dpi. Anything else is wasted, and I can better control the sharpening I apply to the image.

So if you are sending a 4x6 image, then just figure on resizing to 1016x1524 pixels and then sharpen it to taste before saving and sending off to be printed.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    The native resolution of the printer is what dictates this. It's like this, say you are secretary who takes dictation and you can handle up to 254 words per minute. But now lets say the boss likes to rattle off 600 words per minutes. Words are going to get dropped.

So I make it a practice to send to any printer I use the native resolution of the printer. In my case that is 300dpi. Anything else is wasted, and I can better control the sharpening I apply to the image.
    Ahhh ...thankyou grasshopper.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    You are most welcome sensei

miyagi.jpeg
    RIP

Humungus wrote:
    Ahhh ...thankyou grasshopper.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie