Magic Lantern firmware on 7d

JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited February 6, 2013 in Cameras
I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the fairly recent release of Beta firmware for the 7d... I have a fair tolerance for hiccups in exchange for cool features (like focus peaking). Just curious to see if anyone here has tried it. :)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Comments

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    JohnRog wrote: »
    I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the fairly recent release of Beta firmware for the 7d... I have a fair tolerance for hiccups in exchange for cool features (like focus peaking). Just curious to see if anyone here has tried it. :)

I don''t have it but the extra features look interesting
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 25, 2013
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained lol3.gif

One of the things I like about ML is that it's not too hard to go between the different versions. Haven't tried it but features seem OK.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited January 25, 2013
    The Canon 7D is the first dual-processor body to be attempted by the Magic Lantern overlay process and system. As such, you can expect a few additional problems, compared to the single processor camera models.

Historically, the only damage I can find of previous Magic Lantern builds relates to runaway loops which completely drained the batteries of a few user's cameras. While some reported warm bodies from the event, I could not find any reports of bodies being damaged, but the batteries probably suffered somewhat.

With the "Alpha" and "Beta" versions of Magic Lantern, I do recommend removing the batteries after use and before storing the camera.

Other than that, Magic Lantern is a firmware "overlay" and it does not permanently change the firmware of the camera. Once you remove the Magic Lantern encoded card from the camera, and after the camera has reset from a protracted time without battery power, there shouldn't be any enduring effects to the camera (unless something new occurs in the 7D version.)

As always, any risk of damage is yours and yours alone. Certainly, you should not use Alpha "anything" for production applications until you have thoroughly tested and proved the system to understand any problems which could affect your production.

In the mean time, the Magic Lantern version 2.3, available for 5D mark II 2.1.2, 50D 1.0.9, 60D 1.1.1, 500D 1.1.1, 550D 1.0.9 and 600D 1.0.2 bodies, is very stable and a known entity. For production applications I recommend purchasing one of those bodies for best stability, best usability and safety.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2013
    Thanks Ziggy... I gave it a shot, and it seemed to work pretty well. I haven't had a chance to play with all of the extra options, but focus peaking is awesome for manual focus especially in video. I did forget to take out my battery when I turned it off and it was completely drained later when I tried to turn it on. I took the battery out the next time and it was fine.