kixsandkixsand Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited January 17, 2013 in Street and Documentary
Fujifilm X100 ~ 23mm ~ ISO1600 ~ 1/250th ~ F 2.2

DSCF2628-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg
Darren

Comments

• PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2013
    I think I've shot this woman sleeping on the subway too. Laughing.gif I'd like to see who is behind the scarf. Is it an ebook? A tablet? What did we do on the subway to pass the time before smart phones and tablets??? Read an actual book? :D
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2013
    Scarf Frame right not helping me enjoy this one.
  • williaeswilliaes Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2013
    I have to tell a story that this photo makes me think of. I'm from a fairly small to mid size town in Texas. We don't have passenger trains or subways anywhere around this area. Right after 9/11/2001 there was a large group from our home town that went to help work at ground zero and visit the firemen and stations when not at ground zero. We rode the subway everyday multiple times a day. I noticed right away when we arrived in NYC that people do not make eye contact when walking down the street or on the trains. They would sit and not speak or look at each other. It reminded me of how animals assume it a threat if another animal makes eye contact. I know it was probably wrong on my part but I made it a personal quest when riding the subway to speak to these people and say," Yall talk funny!" That would get them laughing and they would speak or at least make a friendly gesture back my way. The accent and the "Yall" got them everytime.

It appears this photo was from another part of the world but the scene still looks the same. Everyone looking at the ground or something besides a stranger. Just goes to show that we can live in the same world but be worlds apart.

If this needs to be deleted go ahead I will understand. The photo above just reminds me of a time of blessing I recieved while helping in NYC.

I like the photo!
    Thanks,
    2 Corinthians 9:15

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • kixsandkixsand Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2013
    William,

I'm really glad you posted your story and I'm happy that this image brought the memory home you in this way.

I was in New York this past summer with my wife and kids. We took in a baseball game while we were there...Texas was in town. Anyway, while on the subway to the game we had a great conversation with some folks from Texas who were more tan happy to break the code of silence of the subway!
    Darren
  • kixsandkixsand Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2013
    bfjr wrote: »
    Scarf Frame right not helping me enjoy this one.

I didn't mind it here...on a subway there's always people all around you...my feeling was that the hint of a person there would add to that atmosphere of closeness...almost like I had to lean out and around the person to get the shot. That was the rationale behind my choice here, be it right or wrong.
    Darren