Options

Prints from Adorama.

LoganHLoganH Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited January 23, 2013 in Finishing School
Hey everyone!

So in the past few months I have ordered a few prints from Adorama. Pretty satisfied with the quality of the prints. However, I have mostly been ordering 16X20 prints. That is a good size for my small dorm. When I place the order Adorama(I am assuming because of the ratio and chance for distortion) either asks me to crop the photo to fill the print, or it will be printed with white margins on the top and bottom. I am new to printing and just stumped on this one. I would really not like to crop the photos if possible.

So my question is,

how can I print my photos to cover the whole 16X20 size without cropping and without white margins? Or do I need to print a little bigger? What are my options?

I really appreciate your time and help with this matter! Wanting to order some more images that I took recently and want to have the prints pristine!

Comments

• Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2013
    If your using LR you can view your images aspect ratio using the crop tool. Use the 4x5 / 8x10 to see the aspect ratio of the crop to see what will fit on a 16x20 borderless print.

Hope this helps.

i-BbmgQmC-L.png
    Duke
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2013
    It isn't just AdoramaPix asking you to crop--any print lab would do that. It has to do more with the dimensions of your image file. Example: I don't know all the technical reasons, but our Canons shoot "out of the camera" in 4x6 dimensions. I can print an 8x12, 12 x 18, 16 x 24, etc without cropping. Any other print size (to include 16 x 20) requires a crop.

My Olympus shoots at 4/3 so I can print 8x6, 16x12, 24x18, etc without a crop.

I was taught to always leave a little 'extra' around the edges of my composition to allow for a crop to the desired print size. It is hard to train yourself to 'always' do that (or at least it was for me...I still forget sometimes).

Sherry
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2013
    Thanks for the tips! Maybe I should just print them at 16X24 then?

Dixon, noticed you are from the Woodlands? I am from magnolia and currently reside in huntsville at SHSU. Work off of 1488. Small world.
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2013
    LoganH wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips! Maybe I should just print them at 16X24 then?

Yes. Your Rebel t3i has an aspect ratio of 1.5:1, which is the same as 16x24.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2013
    Awesome. Thanks!
  • Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Logan... Bearkat eh.... Being a former lumberjack I am not supposed to talk to you... :)

Only kidding... I don't think the SFA / SHSU rivalry is as strong as it was 25~30 years ago.

It is a small world!
    Duke
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2013
    Might not be as strong as it was previously, but a lot of trash talking and pranks still go on. Battle of the Piney Woods is one of the biggest events we have all year.