Options

About to jump to PRO, from power account.

GeorgespyrosGeorgespyros Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited January 22, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello there fellow smugmuggers,

I have a power account and i shot mainly sport events.

There is no payment per basis relationship, i just make a little money from donations.
Everything free, just donate if you want, whatever amount you want.
Its 100% voluntary work, which to be honest, doesnt really work, money donated are very little compared to my effort and of course money+equipment used etc.

I think this is the time to do an upgrade go to PRO account, and establish a more stable "product" relationship.

So I have some random questions before moving on.

1) I have some excisting "supporters" that have donated some money. It would be unfair for them to ask them to pay, as will ask from everybody else, and treat them the same. Their "loyalty" i think must be thanked. I read there are coupons.
How do coupons work? Are they totally customizable? i.e. can i give them a coupon that says 20 digital downloads for free, over the period of a year? Or is it just a %% discount over the set prices?

2) Not all events will cost me the same. There are races that have thousands of runners, i can expect a bigger selling volume and lower price, and some races that i have to travel far to shoot, and have fewer runners. Can i have price per photo for example in one gallery 5€, while in other gallery 2€ ?

3) Can i have various offers or combinations of products? For example. 1 photo digital download = 2€, 3photos =5€, 8photos=10€. Prices are of course random. You got the idea. In case you buy 3 instead of one you got THAT GOOD price. Go on, buy 3, not 1.

4) A silly question, but i dont know. How do customers pay? Via paypal or with major credit cards directly?

That is for now, i have some more questions, concerning search functions, or marketing questions (what sells better, prints or digital downloads, and what should be my pricing policy...) ? etc, but it is a different topic than the features of PRO account vs Power.

Thank you in advance for your time,

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 18, 2013
    You probably need to compare the features of the two top-level accounts to see which meets your needs. Based on your questions (and the fact that coupons and events are only supported on Business Level accounts) it appears that you may be looking at a Business account as opposed to a Portfolio account. Feature comparison for the different account levels can be found on this page - http://www.smugmug.com/photos/photo-sharing-features/.

Prices can be set at a site level, can be overridden for specific galleries. Different prices can be applied to photos in a gallery. See pricing information at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93345-how-do-i-price-photos-in-order-to-sell-them-.

Customers pay with credit cards.

--- Denise
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2013
    There is no payment per basis relationship, i just make a little money from donations.
    Everything free, just donate if you want, whatever amount you want.
    Its 100% voluntary work, which to be honest, doesnt really work, money donated are very little compared to my effort and of course money+equipment used etc.

I think this is the time to do an upgrade go to PRO account, and establish a more stable "product" relationship.

4) A silly question, but i dont know. How do customers pay? Via paypal or with major credit cards directly?

Do some digging around in the customization forum, there are users that have developed a custom shopping cart system.

It might be worth test driving before making the very expensive jump to a PRO account.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    As for your first question regarding coupons, you have five types of coupons at your disposal. You can learn more about the types of coupons and how to use them at this link.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93347-how-do-i-manage-and-use-coupons-

For your second question, Denise is spot on. Pricelists will give you the ability to set different prices for individual galleries based on the changing conditions you describe.

Question #3, check out our Packages feature. I am sure you can come up with some great packages for your clients.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93348-can-i-sell-print-packages-

All of these features are only available at the Business account level.

I hope this helps! Please let me or any of our Support Heros know if you have any further questions.

Michael
  • Options
    GeorgespyrosGeorgespyros Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    thanx a lot for your input.

Are packages also available for digital download purchases?
    1d.d. = 3 euros
    2d.d. = 5euros
    etc?

I will mainly work with Digital Downloading, not print packages, i think for very small purchases, (every cliend will buy maybe 1-2 photos, p&p expenses will be very discouraging).
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    thanx a lot for your input.

Are packages also available for digital download purchases?
    1d.d. = 3 euros
    2d.d. = 5euros
    etc?

I will mainly work with Digital Downloading, not print packages, i think for very small purchases, (every cliend will buy maybe 1-2 photos, p&p expenses will be very discouraging).

You cannot include digital downloads in your packages. You can add this feature request to our feedback page at http://feedback.smugmug.com/

Michael