Chef Baby

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited November 28, 2005 in People
Anyone ever take one of these hokey portraits of their own kids? Any thoughts on how to make my effort better?

45950083-L.jpg

Comments

• tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Anyone ever take one of these hokey portraits of their own kids? Any thoughts on how to make my effort better?
    Mitch,
    It's an adorable picture. The props, pose & expression are great. On my monitor the colors look a little flat. I'd up the midtones, increased the contrast & saturation and try a tighter crop. There are some distracting reflections on the front of the bowl, but who would notice with all the other great things to look at. Great job getting creative. A fun shot.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Mitch,
    It's an adorable picture. The props, pose & expression are great. On my monitor the colors look a little flat. I'd up the midtones, increased the contrast & saturation and try a tighter crop. There are some distracting reflections on the front of the bowl, but who would notice with all the other great things to look at. Great job getting creative. A fun shot.
    Thomas,
    I knew I could count on you for a great reply. Thanks.
    I need to pay more attention to detail. The reflection in the bowl is bothering me (it's a Winnie the Pooh comforter)!
    I'll play around with the midtones and saturation.
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    Oh how cute!

The egg looks funny to me, like it's floating out there with no purpose. Maybe if you shoot again to fix the reflections, some more eggs in a group.
    I love it though, what a cutie.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
    edited November 25, 2005
    Better?

The egg is a ladle.rolleyes1.gif I had some other props but they got cropped out or thrown at dad!rolleyes1.gif Rolling pin and measuring cups everywhere!

45955779-L.jpg
  • StefStef Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    I love this. Your daughter is beautiful. Frame it, hang it on the wall, and sit back and listen to all the oooohs and aaaahs.
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Better?

The egg is a ladle.rolleyes1.gif I had some other props but they got cropped out or thrown at dad!rolleyes1.gif Rolling pin and measuring cups everywhere!
    rolleyes1.gif at me! No wonder that egg looked funny. I can see the handle now that I look closely at the reflection. hehe
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    Looking good Mitch. Print up a large one.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    haha... I too thought, "boy that egg looks funny". After your reply I can see that it's not an egg.... lol had me fooled. :):
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    Mitchell great idea and execution. I can't wait until Sam can sit up...
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    I like everthing about this, even how "hokey" it is. But I'd lose the egg (ladle). It's not doing any work and too many people have commnented on it. You either need more or fewer props. What about something messy?
    If not now, when?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    I prefer my kids on a spit naughty.gif

:food
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    Ok there are one or two technical issues that need to be addressed, but other than that, it's great!

The concept, and the expression are wonderful.

Sam
    edited November 26, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Ok there are one or two technical issues that need to be addressed, but other than that, it's great!

The concept, and the expression are wonderful.

Sam
    Sam,
    Don't leave me hanging. What needs to be addressed? This was just a quick practice session for the real thing.

I like, Rutt's idea of more props and mess (will probably use some flour sprinkled on her.

This was done with an umbrella on my right and a bounce flash off the ceiling on my left to kill the shadows.

Andy, we fatten them up more before roasting!mwink.gif
  • StefStef Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    I prefer my kids on a spit naughty.gif

:food
    rolleyes1.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Sam,
    Don't leave me hanging. What needs to be addressed? This was just a quick practice session for the real thing.

I like, Rutt's idea of more props and mess (will probably use some flour sprinkled on her.

This was done with an umbrella on my right and a bounce flash off the ceiling on my left to kill the shadows.

Andy, we fatten them up more before roasting!mwink.gif
    I think the small technical issues that could be better have already been mentioned.The reflections in the bowl, the ladle. You are gona have a hard time improving on the top half of this photo. The expression is fantastic.

I kinda like the clean look, but fortunately for the second shoot, you can do the clean ones first, then try the messy shots. :D

Good luck with the follow up shoot, and make sure you post them!

Sam
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2005
    This is VERY cute.Great imagination.Something I lackheadscratch.gif
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I think the small technical issues that could be better have already been mentioned.The reflections in the bowl, the ladle. You are gona have a hard time improving on the top half of this photo. The expression is fantastic.

I kinda like the clean look, but fortunately for the second shoot, you can do the clean ones first, then try the messy shots. :D

Good luck with the follow up shoot, and make sure you post them!

Sam
    15524779-Ti.gif the reflections in the bowl proved a little distracting to me too. and the ladel is a little distracting. expression is priceless tho. lighting is good. maybe a warming filter?

other than that.

fantastic shot! can't wait to try this with my cousin. lol. he's 2 months old.

-daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited November 28, 2005
    Daniel,

If you want to try this shot, you can by the infant size chef hat and apron here:
    http://www.kidsaprons.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CH

Good luck!