Options

Best Digital Download Size for Facebook?

DelbeanDelbean Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
What is the best size image to offer as a digital download for a client to use as a Facebook "Cover" photo (the long banner across the top)?

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 21, 2013
    Hi Delbean,
    The web sized download is roughly 640 x 480. If they need a larger size 1mpxl should be more than adequate Here is some more info

Have a wonderful evening :-)
    Cavig :cavig
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2013
    it just seems like when the image is placed up on the banner, the resolution is poor. What is the minimum resolution so this won't happen?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    Delbean wrote: »
    it just seems like when the image is placed up on the banner, the resolution is poor. What is the minimum resolution so this won't happen?
    Facebook says "the image you pick for your cover has to be at least 720 pixels wide". With digital downloads, the next bigger size from the web size with 640 pixel would be the 1 megapixel size. That's usually around 1200 pixel wide and should be good for use as a cover.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2013
    thanks, I'll check it out.
  • Options
    FabFierceFotogerFabFierceFotoger Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 11, 2013
    I have found that it is best to do the cover image crop yourself before uploading. When FB does the crop, the photo is compressed again and can introduce artifacts. So, if you want the best possible cover photo, uploading the cover crop size photo to Smug and then either the web size of 1megapixel will look great.
  • Options
    GrumbleGrumble Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 5, 2013
    Some additional information for you. I'm thinking of selling image downloads specifically for FB covers.

FB states it wants its cover images to be 851x315. Info here: https://www.facebook.com/help/125379114252045/

So the 'web-size' is definitely too small - so I think you want the 1 megapixel size (or bigger).

I think I'm going to try this a different way:

My solution is likely going to make a single gallery that has images cropped to the exact size: Then the image will have ONE sale option - only original download size and a personal use license. Then any problem people have getting it is their own.

Additional FB notes:

When you load a person's page, it doesn't show the entire cover image at first, the top of the image is hidden. A little less than half is shown, so maybe 140-150 pixels or so. I'm not sure if this matters or not.

Make sure your image is in sRGB. FB strips all EXIF data from images you upload.