Spinning

OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
edited November 26, 2005 in People
cait2post-vi.jpg

Caitlin, my good friend & #1 model (she always puts up with me!) spinning around in the *cough* studio *cough* (garage). One AB 800 with softbox to photographer right, high.

Still no BG, hence the textured background. Just me enjoying my new toys.

Comments

• AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    Hey Owen.

I'm not sure I would call it "spinning" because, at least in the photo here, it doesn't really look like she's spinning. More like she's just standing on her tippie toes. Maybe it would look more like she's spinning if you pulled the camera back a tiny bit, had her hair flowing more, her not looking at the camera, and showed both her arms.

I hope you don't mind me picking apart your picture (please tell me if it bothers you). The composition throws me off a little (although, nothing wrong with breaking rules if that's what you're going for - not a bad idea [to break them] with spinning going on, you know?)

I thought it might look a better if you either showed more of her left arm, or cut more of her right arm off.

temporaryimage003.jpg

temporaryimage001.jpgtemporaryimage002.jpg

If you wanted to do color adjustment, I would maybe even out the hues between her face and body, as her body is more yellow and her face is more red. Though, this is probably how she is anyway, so there ain't no deal in leaving it =). It drives me nuts when people over-smooth skin and colors; so it makes me happy to see you left the freckles on her body.

However, none of this means it's not a good picture =). Her dress goes well with her eyes and I kinda like the empty background. I like the one light. Plus, it's a good friend of yours... and they are always good pictures. Keep going, Owen! You do a nice job =). And you got a very nice smile out of her - looks genuine but not overdone. It might be a good one for those "all desaturated except one color" deals (cyan).
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    I like this portrait. She looks open, happy and natural. How much post has gone into it? Her face looks a little soft. Is that motion blur? If not, perhaps it can be helped in post if you want. See if the green channel is a good luminosity blend and consider high radius sharpening. See: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22524
    If not now, when?