Pretty ladies and a little story

Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
edited January 30, 2013 in Wildlife
This beautiful doe has been somewhat of a fixture around our place since she arrived injured at our home four years ago. When we first saw her the bone was protruding from her right leg, she laid near a blowdown for days getting only the food I brought to her. Long story short, you can see she recovered, gets around very well and has given birth to twin fawns the last three years.
Nature does have a way of taking care of its own at times. :clap

Meet "Hobbles" as my wife calls her.

Hobbles2013.jpg

Hobbles3.jpg

Pretty lady in a snowburst

_MG_6149.jpg

_MG_6151.jpg

Comments

• Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Very nice story, she sure looks healthy to me, thanks for sharing that. You did a great job on the Cardinal shots!
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Love the story (and your kindness). And the cardinal shots are unique and beautiful. Love the snow and the lighting. Best, Pam
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Was the doe hit by a car or caught in a fence? hhmmm must not have to many mountian loins around your area

Really like the first Cardinal shot
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Was the doe hit by a car or caught in a fence? hhmmm must not have to many mountian loins around your area

Hard to say, this happened just after doe hunting season. She could have stepped in a hole, caught her hoof in a rock who knows.
    At one point I thought about ending her suffering but when I saw how much determination to survive she had I chose to let it play out. Glad I did.
    Yes before anyone asks I have been a lifetime hunter and fisherman so this type of thing was nothing new to me.

Spinner :D
  • fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2013
    Cool story, Spinner! As a fellow hunter I applaud your compassion. It had to be a hard choice as to whether or not to end the suffering or hope for a good outcome. Happy it worked out. Around my home due to the exploding coyote population I don't think it would have gone as well for her here. Thanks for sharing your story! BTW, your images are always "eye candy," keep up the great work.