More Portrait Practice...

PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
edited January 25, 2013 in People
So my son decided he wanted in on the photo action.... at least for a few minutes. Here are two done with similar form fill lighting as I have been working with recently. I like the images, but still feel the fill light is a little too strong. I am starting to see the benefit of a light meter. :)

So, this was a reflective umbrella camera right at near a 45/45 to him. Angled more in front of him instead of right at him. The fill was a reflective umbrella behind and slightly camera right stopped down slightly from the Key. I believe the Key as 1/2 and the fill was 1/8th power. Everything was rather close. Love to hear your thoughts.
1/200 @ ƒ/6.3, ISO 100, 50 mm focal length
8401122846_02fd5b9a21_b.jpg
The Boy by phil41dean, on Flickr

1/200 @ ƒ/6.3, ISO 100, 50 mm focal length
8400035021_1aa97e9876_c.jpg
The Boy II by phil41dean, on Flickr
-~= Philip =~-
Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Looking at in on my laptop this a very clean shot. I hate laptops because it is so hard to get the right viewing angle, too far the photo is bright, too far the other way its too dark. That first shot is just wonderful. (thank goodness he didn't have any boggers). Have you tried using a reflector as fill instead of a light? Grab a white foam core board from Michaels or Hobby Lobby or even a white sheet to bounce some light into the shadow side. See what you think of that.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    I think you are right in that the light is a little flat. I have to admit though that I'm confused in that I only see one catchlight. I think I'm only seeing the one created by the fill judging by its position.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    First off.. cute kid!

So... having been in MANY professional competitions I have learned to kind of think like a judge so here is what I believe the judges would say about these photos.

Love the pose in #2..
    Beware of cutting off body parts in #1

Lighting is flat. There is no significant ratio (thus you are finding you might need a light meter) As was said by Hackbone, you might want to try a reflector instead of a light. You can pretty much judge the flatness by where the catchlight lies in the eyes. When they are almost center it means either the positions of your lights are too direct.. Though there are times you want a catchlight there. as in butterfly and beauty lighting but those styles would require either a shadow under the nose or a reflector under the chin... The benefit of a reflector over the light is you an visualize how the light falls on the shadow side of the face, especially if you use a modeling light.

There are some portraits I do with only one softbox and then others I add the reflector for fill.

But.. I personally don't mind flat light. I think it has it's place, just not for the judges :D
    And good for you to keep trying! It's the only way to learn.. and I learned the exact same way 5 years ago and now left nursing and work in the business full time.

And last but not least... if you don't want critique or find what I am saying helpful.. feel free to tell me to shut up :banned
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Thanks guys/gals, I would never tell anyone to Shut Up Snady... I am too passive aggressive for that. :) I would just ignore you. As it it, I am not planning on ignoring any of the advice I get around here. It is too valuable. Besides, I agree with most if not all of the comments made so far. Maybe this weekend I can play with a reflector some. As for the crop comment on #1. I can crop it further out. I just wasn't sure what to do with "his" pose. I opted to take it in closer to the face and use the arms for for framing. Not entirely sure it worked.

Snady, to also make a good point about judges... my goal isn't to win contests, but to make respectable portraits I can feel good charging people for. I am not sure those are always the same thing. Regardless, I have a ways to go for either.

Mike, you do only see one catch light. the other was far enough over not to be seen. Although it kind of can in the iris of the right (his right) eye.

Thanks again for the comments.... I love the feed back from you all!!
    -~= Philip =~-
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    I personally like the second shot. I like the pose and his expression. Looks like a headshot for a child actor. Not a lot of contrast between your key and fill but I don't mind it in the second shot. I think the higher key works for the subject matter. I can see distinct shadows and direction in the light in #2 so the light is not flat to me. I think you got more right in the shot that wrong. I would try lower the fill just a tad though and do what Chuck suggested. Foam core or other reflector can serve well as a cheap extra light source.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    one thing to add ..open up that aperture. 6.3 is too small. It sounds weird to say but you have achieved "too much focus" imo. The entire head is perfectly in focus! open that up 1.5 stops or so.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Nice portrait, the second is my favorite.

Regards.

Marcelo
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    Wow, nice clean , bright , crisp pictures. I know nothing about the light mumbo jumbo, I have yet to even think about going there. I mostly use my eyeballs and they like what they see, and oh yes, what a cutie!!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    Thanks for all the new comments as well. I do have some foam board so I may give that a go the next chance I get. I am glad that you all like the second one. I do to. I knew it was a little flat, but still thought it did a good job capturing the little guy. As I have mentioned several times.... I have a LOT to learn, but I can see how people learn quickly in this community. Hopefully I will have the time I need to keep progressing. I would love to have a few more polished tricks up my sleeve before #5 arrives in May. :)
    -~= Philip =~-