Point and shoots...

kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
edited November 29, 2005 in Cameras
Seems like there are not as many threads on "entry level" or point and shoots as it used to be. Forum evolution?
komet gives light so that you may find the way.

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    komet wrote:
    Seems like there are not as many threads on "entry level" or point and shoots as it used to be. Forum evolution?
    then lets make this onene_nau.gif

up until just about a week ago i had a Fujifilm Finepix A303 3.2 megapixel point and shoot. just this week i ordered a Canon 10D from www.fredmiranda.com don't get me wrong the finepix did a somewhat decent job. but nothing i've tried *except the 20D* compares to the 10D. i think it is becasue more people that are actually interested in photography find that a mere point and shooot simply doesn't cut it anymore. thats what i found. however i did manage to take ONE decent shot with my point and shoot.... this vacation in florida
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    komet wrote:
    I've spoken along these lines before, but I sure do miss my P&S camera and it's super-close macro mode with ample, ample DOF that allowed me to take photos like this:

14084451-M.jpg

14084452-M.jpg

14084449-M.jpg

13934460-M.jpg
    These were all taken with my beloved Oly C740 in "super macro" mode, capable of focusing down to 3 cm from the lens!!!

I suppose I could get a Sigma 50mm 1:1 macro lens, instead of the Sigma 150mm 1:1 macro lens I have, that might help a bit. (lol, yeah it might!)

But, my point is, I shoot a DSLR but I still love P&S! I just don't own one anymore, and dont' know much at all about each model compared to how much I know about DSLR models. If this is also the case with quite a few others here, then there's your answer.

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    Hi komet, I'm also stuck with a P&S, love to get a 20D but I keep
    thinking how would I ever get the shots I do. A lot of the shots I
    take can't be viewed thru the camera, the swivel body of the 828
    makes it possible to get all kinds of different angles. Guess I'll
    just have to suffer awhile longer.rolleyes1.gif

P&S enabled me to shoot this at arms length not 6 inches for my eye.
    These wheel bugs are reported to have the worst bite of any bug in the world.
    43872812-L.jpg
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    G'day there komet !
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2005
    P & S
    P & S is where I live; still having fun with it which was the goal to begin with,
    clap.gif Shakamak State Park Indiana W/ H-1.DSC03698.jpg
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 27, 2005
    Welcome Davem!! Another Hoosier!! Great to see another Hoosier enter the fray. Winter is a great season for landscapes - you just have to dress a little warmer. The images can be lovely when snow dresses things up a bit.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2005
    Use what works! I loved my Sony P-10, sold this shot many times over:

1484448-L-1.jpg
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 27, 2005
    I had not seen your new avatar!! You have outdone yourself, my man!! :): :):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • babybluetx23babybluetx23 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2005
    I have a Tivo and it offered to record a series of Cnet Electonic Gagets over the christmas shopping season.......They did a segment on Digital Cameras, Both P&S and DSLR's and here are some of the points they made when you are choosing a digital camera that fits your lifestyle:

#1: Get a camera that FEELS good to you. It has to fit your hand, as well as your lifestyle.
    #2: If you want the flexibility to edit your photos and you are going with a Digital P&S look for those that offer an OPTICAL zoom as aposed to a DIGITAL zoom. Digital zoom is a SOFTWARE feature in the camera that doesnt give you a lot of flexibility. It mearly crops your image and streaches it for you.
    #3: If you want to print anything larger then a 5X7 go for a camera that is 3 megapixels or higher. If you want a camera that can do 8.5 x 11 you are better off with a DSLR camera or something that is 5 megapixels or higher
    #4 A DSLR offers you many more options then a P&S. it allows you to set up a shot any way you want, (ex: Long exposures, night time shots where you need an fstop, iso and an apurture to get that "perfect Shot") Where a P&S typically gives you NO options at all.
    #5: DSLRs are also typically bigger and more bulky and they also tend to cost a bit more then a P&S.

Hope that helps any!
    Cynthia Cox
    Arlington, Tx
    http://www.innovativeillusionsphoto.com/

OMP member #: 173034

Canon EOS 5D : Bogen 3051 tripod : Bogen Monopod : Bogen 3030 head unit : Canon Speedlight 580EX : Canon EF 28-200 F3.5 : Canon 70-200 f2.8L : Canon 24-70mm F2.8L and other Canon Gear

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2005
    I've taken some very good photos with my point and shoot. I used a Powershot A80 before I bought my 20D. You can actually get some very good photos with a P&S camera. The gallery of my favorite photos were actually all taken with my A80. http://redbull.smugmug.com/gallery/317803/1/12647301

You really need to be able to know your camera and it's capabilities. You don't always need a dSLR to get great shots.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2005
    Having a nice DSLR can go a long ways to getting great shots but a P&S can yield satisfying photos also. One of my favorites I took using a Panasonic *video* (VHS-C) camera that had a 320x240 CCD for stills. My son made so many faces in the span of just a few seconds! We just laugh everytime we see it. Quality is technically very poor but, in some cases, it's all about the memories and a handy P&S can capture those "moments".

46357319-L.jpg

And here's one my wife took with an old 35 mm P&S loaded with B&W film:

12699691-L.jpg

Erich
  • kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    G'day there komet !
    Greetings Mark! Believe I will be "upgrading to a Sony W7 from my venerable old Sony P72. Hopefully the lens will be a bit better and it is 7 mp over 3.5. Who knows...maybe down the road I will get something even better. Anyway, I told the wife to get me the W7 as a gift for Christmas.
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.