Trying my hand at DSS #121

TJRidgwayTJRidgway Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited January 30, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
I really haven't participated much in this forum in the past, though I've watched for a while. Going to go ahead and give this challenge a go.

Eye-1-L.jpg

This was a kind of proof of concept using the lighting in the hanger at 0400. I can also do a natural light shot at dawn/day on the line as well. A flash shot is likely a nogo due to equipment restriction on the flightline.

Looking forward to a critique!

(For any who are curious, this is the optical and IR sensor portion of a Missile Warning System on an MH-60S).

Comments

• ProxyProxy Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 24, 2013
    Neat subject.

In regards to framing, have you given thought to having the subject more prominent with less background? It'd be a bit more abstract, but show more texture.
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    Welcome, TJRidgeway! I like the crop in your avatar. :D
  • TJRidgwayTJRidgway Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Welcome, TJRidgeway! I like the crop in your avatar. :D

Thanks! I thought it looked a bit steampunkish and rather like that look.
  • kixsandkixsand Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    I agree with the others here...tightening it up would create a more impactful image with greater visual interest.
    Darren
    edited January 25, 2013
    I will go ahead and try for that shot in the next few days as I have a chance then. Thanks for the feedback!

The only other thing I've been considering is trying for an HDR effect on the lens, as it is a complex subject and show up significantly differently at different exposures. Thoughts?
  • Keller3778Keller3778 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2013
    i wonder if using a polarizer would help with the reflections of the stray light with the straight on shot. Or slightly off to the side wide open with a shallow DOF.
  • Mike BishopMike Bishop Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    I feel that some people are really lost on the "centered" theme. The Dominant part of the above subject is centered. However, that is just because it is poorly composed. There is enough of the entire casing in the image that I personally consider that to be the subject. That isn't a point I am looking to get on though. The point I do wanna look at is the poor composure vs a good "centered" subject.

Let me build an example with the Helicopter. Image a photo of the heli in the air on a dark night. On the right side of the image is a barrage of missiles glowing bright casting light onto that side of the helicopter just before they start to make impact. Now the subject is the helicopter and the story is right beside it. Naturally this image is best composed with the helicopter on the left of the photo. Centering the helicopter is going to do nothing but make a bad image.

Now imagine that same image with the helicopter pointing directly at the camera. Instead of the missiles just being on the right of the helicopter, there is also a matching barrage on the left. Now then the Subject becomes best composed by breaking the rules of third and making it the center of the frame with matching story on both sides.
    edited January 30, 2013
    You know, I compltetly agree. I've been staring at this image, and though I love the subject, I hated the overall look. Hence why I have not worked on it any more.

I think you nailed my problem: I was lost on what I'm doing here. I was simply picking an interesting subject and taking a snapshot, not composing an image.

I'll take some time this weekend during my r and r at the beach (11 day, 12+ hour a day workweeks suck) and compose a bit, pick something more photogenic.

I truly appreciate the criticism!