edited January 29, 2013 in Street and Documentary
012213_T0006-XL.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2013
    like this one as the mans pose is in line with "Alone Together".
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    This has a connection with the photographer and doesn't work as being Alone Together IMHO.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    There's a nose in the frame. I think the shot would benefit from a crop from just inside and below the upper left corner. It would also bring the contemplative dude slightly away from the middle of the frame.

I'm not so much bothered by eye contact these days as long as the spontaneity of the composition holds. It happens or it doesn't.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    Food for thought...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    I wish that woman hadn't "photobombed" this otherwise nice shot. The man's pose is perfect as is the light on his head. But the woman's eye contact just distracts me too much. So much that I didn't even see the nose on the left. I wonder how a blur vignette around the man would look...
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • kixsandkixsand Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    I've been back to look at this shot quite a few times now. I like it. I'm not sure that it works within the theme though. The woman engaging you as aggressively as she is means to me that there are at least 2 people that aren't alone any longer - you and her.

Irrespective of that, I really like the image. I even like the nose. The gentleman's pose amidst all that is around him - the nose included - is sublime.
    Darren
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    THanks, kiksand, and others who have commented on these images, and keep in mind that Alone, Together, can encompass the idea of two, three, four people, together, but alone in the midst of a crowd. The "connection" between the woman and me is no more a violation of my concept than a photo of a couple canoodling, completely lost in the mass of humanity around them. Who is more alone, together?

This discussion is interesting, but I think it has been missing an important point, and that is, the concept behind this project, which I have been working on on and off for about six years, is my concept as an "artist." I get to 'make the rules.' It may not work for individual viewers, which is the way it goes with any artistic endeavor. But as a concept, it is what it is. On the other hand, do individual photos suck as photos? That, I would happily content, is the viewer's call. Is an individual image dull? Is it ruined by a nose, a bright spot, or any number of things - lousy composition? Your call. As I have said many times, we are our own worst editors.:-)

To thnk about this further, you can go here to see a large - too large - selection of older images from the project.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• kixsandkixsand Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    bdcolen wrote: »

This discussion is interesting, but I think it has been missing an important point, and that is, the concept behind this project, which I have been working on on and off for about six years, is my concept as an "artist." I get to 'make the rules.' It may not work for individual viewers, which is the way it goes with any artistic endeavor. But as a concept, it is what it is. On the other hand, do individual photos suck as photos? That, I would happily content, is the viewer's call. Is an individual image dull? Is it ruined by a nose, a bright spot, or any number of things - lousy composition? Your call. As I have said many times, we are our own worst editors.:-)

Excellent post. It is your theme to interperet as you like. My incorrect interpretation and the baggage that it provides for me when viewing an image is my problem. Now, I'd only seen three images at that point...the three latest that you've posted. I will take some time to visit the link that you've provided to better understand your project.

Thanks BD!
    Darren