Options

urban photography

putyourpantsbackonputyourpantsbackon Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 29, 2013 in Technique
Ok I would like honest criticism about this photo I took it today and edited it in RAW format but I want to know if you guys think I over post processed it... Thanks guys don't pull any punches :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/highastheempire/8417414225/in/photostream

Comments

• Options
    linyangchenlinyangchen Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    Having looked at the original image I feel it might be somewhat oversharp, judging by the (I think) unnaturally sharp edges of the building and the spurious texture in the sky, both of which are beginning to have the 'digital' look. eek7.gif But I must say that I'm reluctant to make judgements because different photographers can have radically different opinions (all equally valid in the realm of art) as to what is too much and too little of any given post-processing adjustment, and it might also depend on whether you're displaying it on screen or printing it huge. ne_nau.gif In the end it probably boils down to the artistic message you wish to convey to the audience. What post-processing steps did you do? There is also a little chroma noise and colour fringing on the light-dark boundaries which could be fixed, but of course it's not visible unless you view it at 100% or something. Hope this info is useful!

Best regards,

Yangchen
    where Photons meet Black Holes
    www.linyangchen.com
  • Options
    putyourpantsbackonputyourpantsbackon Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 28, 2013
    Thanks so much man :D
  • Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    But I must say that I'm reluctant to make judgements because different photographers can have radically different opinions (all equally valid in the realm of art) as to what is too much and too little of any given post-processing adjustment, and it might also depend on whether you're displaying it on screen or printing it huge. ne_nau.gif In the end it probably boils down to the artistic message you wish to convey to the audience.
    Yangchen

Yangchen has hit on the crux of it. I like where you're going with it but it does suit my tastes. Remember, the idea (and I am slow arriving at this) is to make photographs for yourself for what pleases your eye and your taste and let it roll from there. For example, I will sometimes use the Orton effect on certain types of images to try and achieve an emotional impact of a scene that I can't otherwise convey with the lighting/framing I have. While I don't like to do it technically I admit that it often please MY tastes and gets the message I intended across nicely. Of course you should always keep learning and trying to get the image before resorting to post processing and use those tools and skills for whatever it is YOU want to do.

One particular thing that I would LOVE to see in your image is to have those lights turned on. That would be sweet.
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..