kixsandkixsand Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited January 27, 2013 in Street and Documentary
FUJIFILM X100 ~ 23 mm ~ f 6.4 ~ 1/500th ~ iso 1000

DSCF2944-Edit-XL.jpg
Darren

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    I like the elements, and composition. Just wish you hadn't tripped just as you released the shutter.;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • kixsandkixsand Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    My eyes are seldom square to that which I see. It seems arbitrary to impose such a requirement on my photography.

:)
    Darren
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    I don't see it as a requirement so much as distracting to the content. Similar to the selective colour shot, what would be the primary objective of this image without the tilt? It feels more like a walk past hip grab?

For what it's worth, a significant proportion of my shots are slightly off kilter. I don't do it intentionally, but rather think it's an artefact of how I hold the camera to my eye while wearing glasses. I straighten it when it happens in post 98% of the time. (I don't admit to the other 2% :D )
    edited January 27, 2013
    To some extent I find a perfectly composed shot in a situation like this to be something of a distraction...it draws a lot of attention to the photographer.

I think to myself...hmmm...whoever took this picture was just standing there aiming their camera at these nice people. I wonder if they were annoyed by that?

To me...a non-standard composition adds to the candid feel of the shot...the photographer is further removed from the subject(s).

I was shooting from the hip...not so much flying by.

One of the things that I'm really loving about this type of photography is that it allows me to break all the rules. I'm still a neophyte in the genre though and very much in the learning stages of development.

I love hearing the opinions though...anyone else?
    Darren
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    Breaking rules is a kick. Because, what else are rules for. I'll disagree with you on a well composed shot drawing attention to the photographer. While a "classically composed" shot might feel awkward, a well composed shot should remove the photographer from the equation. I would argue that by using such a strong tilt in an otherwise normal situation, you are calling more attention to yourself from the viewer's perspective.

That said, keep experimenting. It's fun and definitely part of learning.
    edited January 27, 2013
    I won't discount the possibility that I could be arguing out of convenience...my composition was tilted. Straightening it would have ruined the best part of the shot...the woman at the left.

If my composition had been perfectly straight I doubt very much I'd have tilted it for effect.
    Darren
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    I don't care if the camera is tilted or not. Alex Webb likes to hang out at bus shelters too. One could probably fill a book with just "great bus shelter photographs of the last decade." Google "bus shelter street photography" for a seemingly never-ending compendium of bus shelter photos. Some tilted, some not. All of variable meaning and quality. Then maybe ask - "what am I trying to say about the bus shelter that has not already been said?" For me, I have a hard time telling a bus shelter snapshot apart from most of the "attempted" photographs of bus patrons wishing the bus would just show up all-ready so the creepy guy with a camera would stop taking pictures of me shivering in the cold waiting for the blue line to show up - damn blue line always is late.

Here is my favorite "bus shelter shot," which should revel somewhat how I feel about them: http://framework.latimes.com/2010/11/24/student-protest-london/#/0
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
    edited January 27, 2013
    And just like that we have more in the way of lively discussion than I've seen around here since joining up!

Thanks Jenn! Thanks Ryan.
    Darren
    edited January 27, 2013
    RyanS wrote: »
    I don't care if the camera is tilted or not. Alex Webb likes to hang out at bus shelters too. One could probably fill a book with just "great bus shelter photographs of the last decade." Google "bus shelter street photography" for a seemingly never-ending compendium of bus shelter photos. Some tilted, some not. All of variable meaning and quality. Then maybe ask - "what am I trying to say about the bus shelter that has not already been said?" For me, I have a hard time telling a bus shelter snapshot apart from most of the "attempted" photographs of bus patrons wishing the bus would just show up all-ready so the creepy guy with a camera would stop taking pictures of me shivering in the cold waiting for the blue line to show up - damn blue line always is late.

Here is my favorite "bus shelter shot," which should revel somewhat how I feel about them: http://framework.latimes.com/2010/11/24/student-protest-london/#/0

And one street is much like another...subways all look alike...not sure why anyone would bother with any of it?
    Darren
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    kixsand wrote: »
    And one street is much like another...subways all look alike...not sure why anyone would bother with any of it?

This is a most excellent question. I realized after I sent my first reply that it wasn't complete. However, I was excited by your follow-up question. Streets, subways, and bus shelters can be interesting all on their own. They can stand by themselves. If we took those kinds of pictures we'd be architecture photographers I suppose.

At the essence of why anyone would bother with any of it is something I've been thinking a great deal about lately. I believe it is about how we occupy and interact with the space around us, and those that share it with us, that is the "why" photographers bother themselves with. What is it about the interaction of the woman and her space that says something meaningful beyond just "woman waiting for bus?" BD's "alone together" project is a perfect example of what I mean. It isn't just people on the subway. It is how they are (not) interacting with each other in that space that says something rather interesting. An elevator would be another good place to spend some time, perhaps?

I am no snob. I think photographs can be interesting for the compositional elements alone. I like abstract work as much as anything. I like snapshots too. I'm just trying to have a conversation about what could be, not what is. What do you want to tell us about this woman interacting with her space (and those in it)?

To make a clear point about the tilt. The "rules" are totally stupid. Do what you want. Tilt. Take snapshots. Shoot upside down. Get close. Get far away. Use selective color. Crop. Don't crop. Photoshop a cat into every image. Lie. Tell the truth. Poke fun. Be serious. The only people will care are the forum mods for taxonomy reasons. What I will do is engage with you about how I feel, what I see, and what I think. Which is why I think you came here. (Well, not just for me - but for generally everyone to participate.) :D

What do you want to show me about the space you occupy that you can't tell me in words? I really do applaud your efforts. Photographs don't get posted here by themselves, so I want to be clear that your work is really appreciated.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
    edited January 27, 2013
    Great post Ryan. And thank you for taking the time to expand on your point of view.

I called the shot "Upstaged" because I thought it an interesting take on the scene. The composition draws the eye to the Asian woman...she is the logical "star" in this photograph. However...the stronger, more compelling presence is the other woman just barely captured in profile at the edge of the frame. She is much more intriguing and mysterious and for me at least...she is stealing the show.

That conflict is what I saw when I looked at this image. The bus shelter didn't really enter into it.
    Darren