Options

Have you published/sold a book of photos?

Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited November 27, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi Folks;
I have a silly question. Has anyone here ever poublished a book of thier images trhough a publisher?

My Brother-in-law claims that it's incredibly easy to do and just did it himself. Now it gets interesting when I ask him how he went about doing it. He's very sketchy with the details and quickly changes the subject.

It appears that he hooked up with an author who was just happened to be looking for a photographer. It was pure luck on his part considering that he did photograph this person's wedding.

I'd be interested in giving this a shot myself, so I was curious if anyone here has gone through this process. And if so, would you mind posting a few general things to get the ball rolling?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    Bandit959 wrote:
    Hi Folks;
    I have a silly question. Has anyone here ever poublished a book of thier images trhough a publisher?

My Brother-in-law claims that it's incredibly easy to do and just did it himself. Now it gets interesting when I ask him how he went about doing it. He's very sketchy with the details and quickly changes the subject.

It appears that he hooked up with an author who was just happened to be looking for a photographer. It was pure luck on his part considering that he did photograph this person's wedding.

I'd be interested in giving this a shot myself, so I was curious if anyone here has gone through this process. And if so, would you mind posting a few general things to get the ball rolling?

Thanks!
    I am working right now on getting the ball rolling on a publisher that will be able to work with smugmuggers to make professionally bound books. I'm in the very early stages, but I think it's going to be something good! I'll keep everyone informed.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    NRichNRich Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2005
    Being Published & Self Publishing
    Greetings,

Haven't been writing in forums much lately. Received this thread link through e-mail. On a personal note, I've recently returned from two months photographing wildlife in the Canadian Rocky mountains using a 1DmkII and 500/f4.

In 1989 Third Eye Press Published a collaboration between Michael Bullock (writings) and my B&W photography called "Vancouver Moods". The theme: Wild and natural spaces in and around Vancouver B.C. through four seasons.

Publishers are looking for good finacial reason to risk and advance their capital in their choices of what they will publish, promote and distribute. Their concerns include: Is there wide mainstream interest in the subject, and to what extent is the photographer being considered established, recognized, and previously published.

Daunting Yes, however if you factor in such things as serendipity, luck, personal contacts, and persistence the balance of possibilities may shift in your favor, over time.

A second option is self publishing, which I have also done. Here a strong and realistic business plan is essential. You raise the capital, take the calculated risks, sustaining oneself with clear and strong Intent. My CD-ROM slide shows of wild nature were published with my company called "Enriching Publications" with individual ISBN #'s. Self publishing involves wearing many hats, a diversity of roles, responsibilies, and loads of self reliance.

In 1967, I co-published a hardcover limted ed./500 book...my drawings, Bill Maranda's writings. A major benefit of a collaboration is sharing the work load, as self publishing can consume huge blocks of time. The major benefit in artistic terms is that you have creative control over the final results.

A downside of self-publishing is that higher artistic standards, are reflected in greater printing costs. Also the smaller the number of offset books printed the greater the unit price. The crutial choice in the size of the run is further reflected further down the line in distribution, and retail mark-up.

Lots to consider, with many issues arising along the way. If you really want to publish, or be published with a passion, if you have put in your dues, and your photography is ready for this, (through independant appraisal), then proceed, and good luck to you.

NRich
    www.pbase.com/norman
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2005
    NRich wrote:
    I've recently returned from two months photographing wildlife in the Canadian Rocky mountains using a 1DmkII and 500/f4.
    Wow!!! icon10.gif

Great post Norman, thank you very much for shaing your experience here.
    Lots to consider, with many issues arising along the way. If you really want to publish, or be published with a passion, if you have put in your dues, and your photography is ready for this, (through independant appraisal), then proceed, and good luck to you.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie