I was finaly happy with it. I thought.:rolleyes

DAV_9246-XL.jpg

DAV_9331-XL.jpg

DAV_9332-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    The cheerleaders and the crowd are not sharp.

(Please read my previous comments on MaxPreps. And why I have ZERO time for them)
  • Options
    KikopriceKikoprice Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    IMHO, I think your a little too close to ambient with your exposure. I see some ghosting in #1 at the ball, #2 players hands. #3 I would crop out the player on the right, he doesnt add to the shot.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 28, 2013
    I noticed the ghosting as well, especially on #2. EXIF shows a shutterspeed of 1/250th which is too slow for the action when your flash exposure is so close to the ambient light levels.
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2013

(Please read my previous comments on MaxPreps. And why I have ZERO time for them)

Who cares about the cheerleaders!
    Kikoprice wrote: »
    IMHO, I think your a little too close to ambient with your exposure. I see some ghosting in #1 at the ball, #2 players hands. #3 I would crop out the player on the right, he doesnt add to the shot.

Explain more please, cause Jim also said I was too under exposed, so I brightened these up a bit. And I agree about the crop, but that was using their goofy (2.166x1.6) crop size. Maybe the net doesn't add much? Guess if not, then the crop would still probably work.
    kdog wrote: »
    I noticed the ghosting as well, especially on #2. EXIF shows a shutterspeed of 1/250th which is too slow for the action when your flash exposure is so close to the ambient light levels.

Ah, so more flash? My shutter doesnt go any faster.

But this is part of the fun with shooting sports, learning from you guys and the challenge and limitations of the equipment. Thanks again for the words and help!
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    Who cares about the cheerleaders!

Maxpreps does. They like F11-F16 work. F2.8/F4, not so much.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013

Which is why I told them to take a long walk off a short pier. If they want to come setup lights that are going to give me F16, then let them. But NOBODY in their right mind shoots with that much flash... Holy crap. I'm getting 1/250 @ 3.5, ISO 320 and about 4.5 stops over ambient with strobes at 1/4 power. I'm just going to make that F4 so I don't have to deal with 1/3 stops. 1/2 power gives me f8, full power gives me F11, 2 flashes at full power give me f16. That is insane. Or you need to go out there with Einsteins or something along those lines.

Friends don't let friends work for MaxPreps. They are seriously screwy.. and that cropping that stupid size put me over the edge with Jim and crew.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2013
    Which is why I told them to take a long walk off a short pier. If they want to come setup lights that are going to give me F16, then let them. But NOBODY in their right mind shoots with that much flash... Holy crap. I'm getting 1/250 @ 3.5, ISO 320 and about 4.5 stops over ambient with strobes at 1/4 power. I'm just going to make that F4 so I don't have to deal with 1/3 stops. 1/2 power gives me f8, full power gives me F11, 2 flashes at full power give me f16. That is insane. Or you need to go out there with Einsteins or something along those lines.

Friends don't let friends work for MaxPreps. They are seriously screwy.. and that cropping that stupid size put me over the edge with Jim and crew.

:DLaughing.gif!! OK.

Well, do they seem sharp enough?
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 29, 2013
    Ah, so more flash? My shutter doesnt go any faster.
    I was thinking faster shutter and HSS (high speed synch). But maybe there's no way to do that with the equipment you're using? Otherwise, yeah more flash I guess.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2013
    Shutter speed controls ambient and aperture controls flash. So if you've got too much ambient and you can't increase your shutter speed because of your sync speed, what do you do?
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2013
    Shutter speed controls ambient and aperture controls flash. So if you've got too much ambient and you can't increase your shutter speed because of your sync speed, what do you do?

Blast them with a nuclear powered fusion flash.... F64 anyone? at ISO 50????

At the point if there is too much ambient you really do need to keep adding flash power until it seriously overtakes ambient....
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2013
    I have a third light. But not sure if that's too much? Or just up the power on the two I use?
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2013
    I think these are spectacular. Care to share your lighting setup?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2013
    Why not lower your ISO?
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2013
    It's MaxPreps. Sorry, they are a bunch of morons. They want Inifinity as your DOF. I sent in tack sharp pics and they sent them back as "out of focus"
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2013
    Send it back to them and ask them if it's too sharp?

Ugh, Link isn't working, using a "free" host... Lets see.. this?? 1aw8w.jpg

Or a direct link

Sorry, I just had to do it. That's Topaz Detail run at Max II. Watch, they'd be happy with that... smh.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2013
    I think these are spectacular. Care to share your lighting setup?

Thanks, I just use an SB800, and an SB910, one on each side of the court, pointing toward the freethrow line, and hoped for the best.
    Why not lower your ISO?

I did this time, upped the flashes, and still got a little ghosting. headscratch.gif
    Send it back to them and ask them if it's too sharp?

Ugh, Link isn't working, using a "free" host... Lets see.. this?? 1aw8w.jpg

Or a direct link

Sorry, I just had to do it. That's Topaz Detail run at Max II. Watch, they'd be happy with that... smh.

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    lightdrunklightdrunk Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2013

Why should anyone but the players be "sharp?"
  • Options
    lightdrunklightdrunk Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2013
    I think the shots are very successful Why should anyone but the players be "sharp." This is an action shot: what is the obsession with sharpness? If you'd corrected depth of field to make everybody and everything "sharp" the shot would be too busy.
    But Jim from MaxPreps says pics not sharp enough?headscratch.gif

I was finaly happy with it. I thought.rolleyes1.gif

DAV_9246-XL.jpg

DAV_9331-XL.jpg

DAV_9332-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2013
    lightdrunk wrote: »
    I think the shots are very successful Why should anyone but the players be "sharp." This is an action shot: what is the obsession with sharpness? If you'd corrected depth of field to make everybody and everything "sharp" the shot would be too busy.

ne_nau.gif