Buying a registered Domain

Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
edited February 24, 2013 in Mind Your Own Business
I would like to make a basic webpage just to show some work and have a place to direct people when asked. I chose a awkward name but when I went to see if it was available the .com had been registered in 2011 but never used. Further look shows the expected expiration date is 3/13. I would love to have my site a .com (.net is also taken) so I would love some advice from people who have been in similiar situations. I can pay to have a domain broker a purchase but I have no clue what a reasonable offer would be. Im not in the position to pay hundreds of dollars @ the moment. I also have the oppurtunity to put my name on a backorder and if it doesn't get re-registered I can have a chance @ it... depending if someone hasn't already put there name on it lke the .net has. Would that show a sign of interest and have the the current owner re register and drive up the price? All other extinsions are available but would they make any sense?

Comments

• jwcoffeejwcoffee Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    My advice...

1). .com is important.
    2). Find an acceptable .com domain that is available and move on.
    Jim Coffee
    Photographer, Panographer
    James Coffee Studios
    Escondido, CA
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2013
    Gaby617 wrote: »
    I would like to make a basic webpage just to show some work and have a place to direct people when asked. I chose a awkward name but when I went to see if it was available the .com had been registered in 2011 but never used. Further look shows the expected expiration date is 3/13. I would love to have my site a .com (.net is also taken) so I would love some advice from people who have been in similiar situations. I can pay to have a domain broker a purchase but I have no clue what a reasonable offer would be. Im not in the position to pay hundreds of dollars @ the moment. I also have the oppurtunity to put my name on a backorder and if it doesn't get re-registered I can have a chance @ it... depending if someone hasn't already put there name on it lke the .net has. Would that show a sign of interest and have the the current owner re register and drive up the price? All other extinsions are available but would they make any sense?

Quickest, easiest and simplest: Find another name and hit go!

Reread your first sentence again. That first sentence tells me that this page is not so important that you ought to spend any money over and above what a basic unused domain name will cost. I would have loved to have been able to have a domain name with my name in it and I do in a way. But my name, tom wise dot com was taken....Move on, or pay and play~
    tom wise
  • jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2013
    domain names are cheap if they are available, $10/yr? Get a good ".com" now, then buy the one you want if it becomes available and have both, just redirect to the new one if you get it.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2013
    If you can wait, you might see if they don't re-register it and after it expires, then snag it. However no way would I spend extra money to snag something where something else could work. I wouldn't even consider talking to anyone in the position to take money for the request. Why? Because they will take your money. I would just see if it becomes available.

As said above, domains are CHEAP! Nothing really to have both redirect to whatever you end up with.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2013
    Maybe try mailing the owner directly - the registry shows who owns it. Not everybody want to make big money by transferring a url that they are not using and unless it is something special it will not fetch much. When you wait and see the term will like just roll on for another year as a result of an automatic payment. If you offer them $50 for their time and trouble to transfer then you might get a nice surprise.
  • Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. My interest was to purchase gotography.com (Gabriel Ortiz Photography combined) I thought it was catchy. That has been taken but never hosted. I did contact domain owner directly w/ no success. My name was also taken as a .com. I ended up buying gabrielortizphotography.com and gortizphotography.com. i'll be using gortizphotography as my logo shows separation between the g and ortiz. Got some helpful advice from members on here behind the scenes through pm's which lead me to choose something w/ my name instead of a nickname. Thank you all again.