dss # 121

alibi13alibi13 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited January 31, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
My other option for dss #121. Please let me know what you think :ear

Comments

• kixsandkixsand Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    I'm afraid I'm not getting the connection to the theme - "centered"?
    Darren
  • alibi13alibi13 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 28, 2013
    I figured I would try and get my crop centered on both cheetahs instead of just the one.
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    It doesn't seem to fit the theme for me.
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    Hi Alibi 13,

My 2 cents... The current challenge asks us to break one of the stereotypical rules of composition - that it's best to avoid putting a subject in the center of the frame.. While this image technically centers its subjects (when seen as one pair), it misses the mark on being a rule-breaking centered shot.

The composition of your shot actually creates a strong visual movement along lower left to upper right diagonal, by virtue of the line created by the two sets of eyes. It could be a very strong, and traditionally appropriate composition, but as kixsand and and tinamarie52 point out, it doesn't draw attention to the center of the frame, and doesn't work for this theme.

On another level, the image has some other weaknesses related to the cheetahs' eyes being in shadow. Typically, the eyes in an animal's (or human's) portraits are central points of attention. Having both the cats eyes in shadow, weakens the impact.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    billseye is right on the money. His critique was thoughtful and very accurate. He reminds us that when someone asks for a critique, we should take more time (if we have it) to offer helpful suggestions rather than the terse reply I sent. This site is a very open learning place. Thanks for the reminder billseye.

I'll look forward to seeing your next attempt at DSS 121.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
    edited January 29, 2013
    Thanks guys for the input... I'm still relatively new to photography, so any comments, criticism, pointers would be awesome! I ended up entering a different picture and have posted it for dss 121. Take a look :-)

Phill / alibi13
  • Mike BishopMike Bishop Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2013
    One thing that I would like to point out in this image is the focus. As a new photographer myself, this is something I still find myself needing to improve. Since both cats share the spotlight of being the subject here, they both need to be in full focus.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    One thing that I would like to point out in this image is the focus. As a new photographer myself, this is something I still find myself needing to improve. Since both cats share the spotlight of being the subject here, they both need to be in full focus.

I don't know the circumstances of the situation, or the gear used for the shot - except to say that it's unlikely to have been a wide angle on the cam :)

As such, dof distances can be real consideration - if (as I suspect) the rhs cat's head was some distance behind the lhs one.

If the case, photographer has to decide where to place AF point, aperture etc for effect required. Stopping way down to get both in focus (assuming possible) would also have changed the bg considerably too.

Personally, I think it's possible to have a decent shot where big chunks of the main subject are oof - but I also accept /acknowledge that we all have our own thoughts on this, too :)

pp
    edited January 31, 2013
    I'm still in the process of learing my camera. It's a sony slt a55 and I like it a lot, but it is my first dslr. I'm still messing around with my fstop and focus points. Again any input and help with camera adjustments is awesome.

Phill/ alibi13