Options

Photo Size Confusion

56Kruiser56Kruiser Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited February 9, 2013 in SmugMug Support
A couple questions:

If I have a maximumn size set of, let's say, XL, can I as the owner of the account, logged in, not download the original? I of course don't have O to select when I have set maximum size to XL, so maybe that is the issue. But I thought the owner when logged in could always get the original.

Now, if I am getting the original, this question then: Does uploaded pictures get downsized/compressed in some way? I havce a picture I uploaded, which on my computer is this size:
5202 X 3465 7.88MB

Downloading the file from SmugMug (without having selected Original as max size), it is this size:
5202 X 3465 , but is only 4.6MB
I went in and changed my settings for the gallery to show original, selected it, and downloaded it and get the same.

So, will the original I have on my computer be better/have more detail for printing?

The difference in MB's leaves me confused.

Comments

• Options
    JohnHeroJohnHero Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    Hi 56Kruiser,

You as the site owner can download the original, even if you do not have it selected as the largest viewing size. What you need to do is hover over the large preview, click the yellow folder icon. This will download your original file back. The only re-encoding of your original files we do is change to sRGB, if your original is not already in that format. Your pixel Data will always remain untouched. File size does not affect the quality of the photos.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

John
    SmugMug Support Hero
    John
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    56Kruiser56Kruiser Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    Thanks. for your quick reply

I do wonder why the size in MB would be so different, and how the different size would not result in missing data for the photo. But it's good to know it doesn't hurt the results.

The originals are in sRGB.

I was apparently downloading the wrong way. I forgot about the yellow folder. I had clicked on the photo to enlarge, then selected O from that view, and downloaded. I apparently did not get the original. I tried it again with the yellow folder, and interestingly, what downloaded was larger than what I uploaded, rather than smaller. ne_nau.gif

But I'd say I'm good to go.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    Glad to hear 56k! Bigger photos are better anyway, right?

Michael
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2013
    This is very strange. I've uploaded over half a million images to SM and downloaded them and compared them with the originals and they size match and compare bit-by-bit perfectly. headscratch.gif

Did you do any manipulation in SM like rotating or color correction?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!