edited February 2, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Balboa Park - San Diego

untitled-36-XL.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    I don't know, but the guy ( I assume he's male ) in the middle seems to be content with his lot in life.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    Oh! just like the decor in my house... What a coincidence : )
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    :D Keen work. I get the feeling a person could easily spend quite awhile finding interesting shots there.
    Too cool.
    Michael
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2013
    I don't know, but the guy ( I assume he's male ) in the middle seems to be content with his lot in life.

Tom
    He he he... you're probably right Tom - and I thought he was laughing at me!
    Yeah, in this image, gender assumptions are tricky.... different time, different ideals. :D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    Oh! just like the decor in my house... What a coincidence : )

Laughing.gif !
    Let's see the pics Cristobal....deal.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2013
    DaddyO wrote: »
    :D Keen work. I get the feeling a person could easily spend quite awhile finding interesting shots there.
    Too cool.

Thanks a lot Michael -and you are so right, Balboa Park is rich in scenery - much of it constructed for the The Panama–California Exposition of 1915. 100 year anniversary is coming up.

BTW - The reflecting/lily pond seen here was completely destroyed last summer by a social-media fueled flash-mob wielding squirt guns and water balloons - it was a big scandal in town. It's currently being re-furbished.

Balboa%20Park%20Pond1-L.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2013
    It's a very pretty park. We spent a lot of time there when I was a kid. The top photo is cool, although the lady on the left is increasingly disturbing. I think that's why most artists spend a lot of time in isolation.

Nice shot of the reflecting pond. You say it's being refurbished--is then shot before or now?
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2013
    wfeller wrote: »
    ......You say it's being refurbished--is then shot before or now?

Thanks Walter. This image was about 1-2 years before the damage (a large Koi fish population had to be re-located also) - donations from the public have prevented a direct cost to the City for repairs.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    Nice work, Eric. Your B&W conversion is so well done... but I can't shake the thought that I dated one of those women in a past life. eek7.gif
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2013
    billseye wrote: »
    Nice work, Eric. Your B&W conversion is so well done... but I can't shake the thought that I dated one of those women in a past life. eek7.gif

Laughing.gif ! rolleyes1.gif
    Well, if so, and considering she ended-up turned-to-stone, I won't ask you to dish the details. mwink.gif
    Thanks Bill
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2013
    Who thinks up this stuff? Looks like Lot's wife! Laughing.gif... was there a third person on the left? It seems so off centered...not by you but the artist. I guess the happy face got the pedestal but the one on the left looks like she is leaning lower than the other. Maybe some jealousy... Nice pp in black/white! It is an interesting photo...aside from the in your face subject! :)
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2013
    Eia wrote: »
    Who thinks up this stuff? Looks like Lot's wife! Laughing.gif... was there a third person on the left? It seems so off centered...not by you but the artist. I guess the happy face got the pedestal but the one on the left looks like she is leaning lower than the other. Maybe some jealousy... Nice pp in black/white! It is an interesting photo...aside from the in your face subject! :)

Thank-you for the comments AnnaMaria.... you're right, it is in-your-face. :D That's why I get such a kick out of the architecture and wonder about the motives of the designers.
    The figures actually go all around this section of the promenade, alternating the half and whole ladies. So, it looks a lot more balanced in real-life.
    There's a ton of very ornate decorations to look at on the buildings in the park and it is always fun to watch the visitor reactions when they eventually look up and first notice who is holding up the eaves on this one.
    Lots of giggles and awkward explanations to the kids usually ensue.
    Eric ~ Smugmug