Virtual Suggestion Box

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited February 4, 2013 in People
So...

You guys have any suggestions on ways to improve our little corner of the Interwebs called the People Forum? Anything you've maybe seen on other forums that you think are cool or fun? Maybe the forum is perfect as it is and we shouldn't change anything?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Not sure I can make them happen but I will sure try.

- Alex
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    Hi Alex. I don't think this is in you're power, but I would love to see more pictures from novices posted. I know the general concensus on forums is, don't comment on them, if they don't meet some's criteria, but I think every photographer can agree, no matter what skill level, everyone has to start somewhere. So you guys don't be afraid to post up you're work, feedback is the best and quickest way to improve! I know this myself just from my time spent here, and still working at it.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    Novice,

I couldn't agree with you more. Every now and again we have someone that makes a post and mentions they've lurked for a very long time. I would love people to lurk a lot less and post a lot more. A forum is only as good as it's members and their participation. It's one of the reasons I created the Introduction thread. I was hoping that it would allow new or shy people to introduce themselves without having to put themselves out their with a photo as their first post. I also was hoping it will build a bit more of a sense of community if we each knew a little more about the person posting.

It's funny because one of the things I absolutely love about this forum is that when you post a photo, you get great, in-depth, sincere feedback. Too many photography forums are just about posting an image and waiting for everyone to give you the "nice shot" comment. That doesn't help you grow and learn. Especially when it's not a nice photo but you're being told it is.

The thing is though is that I think some get a bit intimidated by this feedback. Some may not want to hear it. Others may be afraid that their image will get trashed. However, I have never seen anything said about an image on our forum that wasn't constructive. For you lurkers, we mean our feedback in the most positive way. We are all passionate photographers. Whether casual hobbyist or working pros, we are really care about this craft and we are all here to grow and learn. I know I am. And I, like you Novice, have learned more here on Dgrin, by posting my photos and getting feedback, than I will ever learn from reading a book or watching videos. It's really invaluable and it's absolutely free!

Yeah... really not sure what to do to bring the lurkers out of the shadows. headscratch.gif

My Smug Site
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    Yeah... really not sure what to do to bring the lurkers out of the shadows. headscratch.gif

You could always run a poll and ask why folks/lurkers do not post more regularly or what keeps them from doing so. Could do it Letterman style, "Top Ten reasons I don't post photos for Critique"

I have my opinions as to why, but not really a lurker; I don't post images for critique often.
    tom wise
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    I know one or two sets I have posted, should make any novice feel at ease about posting their work lol, but I got great feedback for the future. I haven't shot much lately, life is getting in the way lol. I would love to see more people come in, sit down and share a cup of java with us. :*sip*
  • neelmccneelmcc Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    Sub Forums
    Alex,

How about a Sub Forum titled NOVICE or any other name that might fit. For those of us who lurk but don't feel that our expertise in lighting, f stops, white balance, matches those of most of the phtographers who post on this forum, it might decrease the feeling of inadequacy we might have.

I am sure many of the lurkers, like myself, are not able to make specific trips to points of beauty, and/or shoot one photo a day for a year. Any picture we submit might be "one of a kind" An established ground rule for the sub forum might be no family snapshots or snapshots in general.

If this idea sounds suitable it might be adopted by some of the other major forums as well.

Neel
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    Neel,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will run it by the other mods to see what they think. I can tell you that there is an aversion to creating sub-forums. Only because they tend to either be completely ignored or it's spreads the threads real thin. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just saying that we only create sub forums when it really makes sense. Regardless, its not something I can decide so I will present it to the team.

I do want to say though, that all of us started somewhere and we don't all expect to everyone to post a photo everyday or to only shoot beautiful models. Photos of family members (my wife is a perfect example) are completely welcome. I think all of us have used family members to practice and improve our photography so don't feel like you can't post something because it may not be at the level of the pros here.

My Smug Site
    edited February 1, 2013
    BTW, I do have an idea. Not a new one but one that may help people get out of their comfort zone and also give them a purpose around their shooting.

What if we had a weekly or monthly theme? For example, "Portrait in natural light".

Not a contest, just a subject to put your shooting in context and help you practice certain skills or techniques. We could then post our shots in the thread.

I understand that some of the pros here probably won't participate because they're busy shooting clients but maybe it will help some of the hobbyists and less experienced shooters put some direction to their photography and practice specific things.

Just an idea.

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    BTW, I do have an idea. Not a new one but one that may help people get out of their comfort zone and also give them a purpose around their shooting.

What if we had a weekly or monthly theme? For example, "Portrait in natural light".

Not a contest, just a subject to put your shooting in context and help you practice certain skills or techniques. We could then post our shots in the thread.

thumb.gif

As for a subforum, I think it WOULD lead to watering things down. But the concept is a good idea, so what about a "Be gentle with me - it's my first time" thread? Just a thought.
    edited February 1, 2013
    Diva... I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe update the People Forum Rules sticky with some new comer guidelines. Like first to add an intro to the New Sticky thread and then make your first post with a be gentle caution or something like that?

So you like the idea of the Themed "Assignments"?

My Smug Site
  • KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    Sounds good to me... I just wish I had some good subjects to work with. I do not get too many visitors when the weather is in the teens.
    Diva... I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe update the People Forum Rules sticky with some new comer guidelines. Like first to add an intro to the New Sticky thread and then make your first post with a be gentle caution or something like that?

So you like the idea of the Themed "Assignments"?
  • KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    How about some threads on posing... Like the posing guide, but for those of us that do not have a tablet. Men, women, children, couples, families indoors and outside. I struggle where to make crops on body parts, but I am slowly learning. Bryce and Hackbone come to mind, but I am sure there are others.
  • PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    Oddly enough, I come here BECAUSE of the quality of critic. I often don't comment on posts because I don't feel like I have much to add, but I love the feed back on the few I have posted. My biggest problem is simply having time for my hobby. I have tried to find more time since the start of the year and have enjoyed taking part in this community as a result. I will admit, there is a lot here to be intimidated by and I am not sure how you get new-comers to push past that. As I have, I have also come to realize how much people here want to help and how much there is to learn!
    I do want to say though, that all of us started somewhere and we don't all expect to everyone to post a photo everyday or to only shoot beautiful models. Photos of family members (my wife is a perfect example) are completely welcome.

Of family a member or a beautiful model? I am pretty sure she qualifies as both so I just had to ask. :D

I for one love this idea. I have taken part in the DGrin challenges a time or two and did the DPS challenges as well. I would be GREAT to have something more focused on people where one could contribute as well as seeing all the different takes and ideas on a theme. I would at least give it an effort!!

Just out of curiosity, do you have stats for the forum? Do we have 50% active uses or is it more like 1%? Any idea how many IPs hit the forum in a day / week? Just wondering if there is any idea of how many lurkers there really are. :D
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
    edited February 4, 2013
    Cool. So I'm going to put together some guidelines around of the Assignment idea. Stay tuned.

My Smug Site