Options

Studio setup - Dealership

DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited February 1, 2013 in Technique
The owner of the dealership that I work at decided that I would be the one to ask what was needed to do a studio in 2 unused bays in the detail shop to take photos of cars for sale (online). :dunno

:scratch So, I need your help on this. I really don't know anything about lighting. His budget? he hasn't said; however my boss (office manager) says he'll say 5k is too much.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I should be looking for in the way of lighting, backdrops, etc.... it would be much appreciated.

And....... of course all online forums, shopping sites, etc... are blocked at work so I get to do this all at home....... :doh

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    I'd look for a kit with 3 strobes. I have had good luck with radios from Cowboy studio. They are non-ttl but only $20 each.
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    Since the car is static, and you can use a tripod/remote almost any light setup should work fine. As for a backdrop, if its going to be a dedicated space, I would do a simple cyc wall as log as you have room.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited January 31, 2013
    When you're lighting for sale vs. style, you are looking at two very different setups. I would consider finding a nice outdoor spot for photos instead of a studio. A local office park with class A office space (very nice building), front of the dealership-on a platform for display, a roadside pull-out with exceptional landscaping-you get the idea. Granted, there will be times outdoor light will suck and you might need to consider flash but flash would be the exception rather than the rule for exterior shots. Maybe some flash for the interior shots. An outdoor location would also give you the space you need to photograph the car-not sure that the service bays will give you that.

Most on-line "for sale" type photos are done with a decent point and shoot-no lighting. It would be better to put the money into a decent P&S or lower end dSLR. Maybe a good remote flash and then teaching people how to make good photos (sharp, well lit. Decent bokeh. Pleasing angles).

If you still want to pursue the studio, consider painting the interior white and doing something with the floor-like a white garage floor sealer. You could light it with fluorescent tubes-enough to keep it bright-and build some soft boxes using cheap, white bedsheets (cheap because they'll do a good job softening the light). Then add some large soft boxes as needed. Again, a studio you shoot cars in needs to be pretty big to do a good job.

Doing photos outside would be almost a zero cost deal. Indoors, you could easily spend a few thousand dollars making the space suitable for a studio.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited January 31, 2013
    I moved this to the "Techniques" forum as this is more of a "how-to" question.
    ian408 wrote: »
    When you're lighting for sale vs. style, you are looking at two very different setups. I would consider finding a nice outdoor spot for photos instead of a studio. ... It would be better to put the money into a decent P&S or lower end dSLR. Maybe a good remote flash and then teaching people how to make good photos (sharp, well lit. Decent bokeh. Pleasing angles).

If you still want to pursue the studio, consider painting the interior white and doing something with the floor-like a white garage floor sealer. You could light it with fluorescent tubes-enough to keep it bright-and build some soft boxes using cheap, white bedsheets (cheap because they'll do a good job softening the light). Then add some large soft boxes as needed. Again, a studio you shoot cars in needs to be pretty big to do a good job.

Doing photos outside would be almost a zero cost deal. Indoors, you could easily spend a few thousand dollars making the space suitable for a studio.

15524779-Ti.gif Ian is giving you excellent advice. thumb.gif

Additionally, without seeing some snaps of the "2 - bays" that you will have to shoot in (plus snaps of the surroundings to the bays), it's hard to make any recommendations for an indoor studio.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    This question is not as simple as it sounds.

What kind of a dealership are we talking about? A high end dealership would be more likely to entertain the effort needed to get a quality photo / marketing system in place.

For auto online sales / marketing / display your much better to decide what shots, number of shots, etc you want. Then shoot every car the same. This is not an artistic project but one where a consistent clean look created in the most efficient manner possible is the goal.

You do want and need a bright clean well lit area to get the outside images. As far as the inside images are concerned one off camera light with a softbox will be sufficient. You will need to get a system down as to where to move the light for each different shot.

The shooting area will probably cost more than the camera gear, but remember you will need a computer, image processing software, method of cataloging each car, etc.

I spent a few hours with a photographer who does this for a Mercedes / Porsche dealership and it was very impressive how it was organized and done. To much detail for me to type out. :D

Feel free to go to my website and give me a call.

Sam
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies :D I'll read them in more detail tonight.

As for taking them outside.... it's 2°F outside with a windchill of -10...... rolleyes1.gif I WON"T BE THAT PERSON.

I've not seen the 2 bays either. I am next door at the Ford Store and the detail shop is over on the Chevy side. But might walk over there when it warms up a bit.