Don't Wonder If... Just Prepare For When

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited February 4, 2013 in People
Hi Peoples:

Some may have wondered what in the heck happened to me... (Then again, most probably were glad I was gone)

Learn from my mistake, I beg you.

After taking more images of children than I thought humanly possible this past November and December, getting (thank God) most of the "Christmas Important" product processed, I had the un thinkable happen. My laptop along with its back up hard drive was yanked off a bar height table onto a marble floor. Both the drive in the laptop and the back up hard drive were not recoverable by normal means.

I still had somewhere north of 50 orders that had not been printed on these drives. Well, 4 weeks and 1800.00 Clean Room dollars later, I have the data on back up drive recovered and fortunately all images on outstanding orders were recovered.

Guess who is using a third back up system on a cloud server now.

Don't let this happen to you! For a few weeks there it was even affecting my health. I wasn't sleeping along with various other physical problems.

Anyway,

Happy to be back.

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    OUCH.OUCH.OUCH.

Crashplan. I will never ever be without it (or something similar) ever again.

And GLAD you are back - you've been missed!!
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 31, 2013
    Gaads. That's a horror story. Glad you finally have the images back from the dead. I just purchased a couple more 64GB USB thumb drives to have an additional set of copies of every year's images - small enough I can easily plunk into the safety deposit box.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    Big time ouch and a bigger welcome back. Stay healthy nonethless. That had to be a terrible nightmare.
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    Wow, what a painful lesson. I have spent 15 years building custom gaming and high end pc's, one thing that is never far from my mind, at any time, a hardrive can dump. I, for one, was wondering where you had went. I even mentioned this to the wife the other day. Glad you're back and you got the data back!
  • LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    Painful and something that can happen any time, I had a similar experience four weeks ago, my 2TB HD (seven months old) suddenly stop working, with all my pictures from 10 year ago, I called some data recovery services and they ask between $800 and $3000 for moving the files to another HD.

I friend of mine helped me to copy the files to another HD, it took me like 3 weeks using a computer only for this purpose.

I just bought another HD to back up those files just in case.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    BRYCE!!! So glad to see you back man. I was seriously just thinking about you yesterday and I was going to send a few PM's to see if anyone new or heard from you.

Man oh man does that sound awful. What a horrible experience. However, glad it worked out in the end. Good to have you back brother and looking forwarding to seeing you post some of those shots!!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    Bryce,
    Sorry to hear about your loss and successful recovery. I was wondering where you were, I missed seeing you work, especially the kids. I love your photography, and had to settle for Alex's (anonymouscuban) 365 Portrait Lighting Project. His project is great and I am learning a lot. I think it would be great if you did the same thing with some of your projects... a lighting diagram and some pull backs. The information on this site is so wonderful, and I am glad that everyone is willing to share and help each other.

I guess I need to make some more backup copies!
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    Thanks for the kind responses and empathy! It was a pretty miserable 4 weeks.

All better now!:D
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    Thank goodness you got it all back. Sounds awful. Been using Carbonite myself. Seems to be working well at 274 GB and climbing.
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    OMG Bryce, that is a horror story and a half. Good on ya for getting it all back but that cost.:cry

I am actually another one who noticed your absence so welcome back.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • colinpurringtoncolinpurrington Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    An Aperture upgrade once did the same thing to my collection. My condolences...it really is life changing.
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    I'm glad that you were able to recover! As a side note have you considered having your local backup drive be a network attached drive instead of one that plugs directly into the computer? Don't know what kind of system you run but Apple's time machine works really well with this arrangement. At least then you have a bit of physical separation between your drives that would help avoid the situation that you described as well as other relatively small scale disasters that might affect only one part of the house like a leaky roof, small fire, or something of that sort. That way you could have your drives located in different parts of the house. Just my 2¢ for whatever that is worth.
    Anyway, I'm glad your back and were able to recover.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    Thank God you could recover your work.
    I'm glad you are back.
    Carlos