Options

New B&H Shipping Method

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited February 10, 2013 in Cameras
I ordered a 40mm pancake lens on Wednesday this week. I just got the confirmation that it should arrive Wednesday next week. B&H always was a very quick shipper to me, NYC-Philly isn't that far, and super saver shipping just made sense.

Now they have gone to this hybrid UPS/USPS system where it takes a week to get here.

I could have used Amazon Prime and had the thing on Friday morning, but I remained loyal to B&H over the years and love them.

This may be what drives me over the edge. I don't like or trust the USPS service and this new system is very flawed to me.

Henry: I know you read here - please go back to traditional UPS or Fedex only - here is one vote that the hybrid system is losing you customers!

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 2, 2013
    Z, according to the B&H shipping FAQ, you could have selected at least five different shipping options including direct UPS and FedEx. This new hybrid option isn't even listed there, so maybe the page it out of date. Regardless, you could have always select another option. Right? It sounds like you selected their Standard shipping option for which the stated delivery time is up to 8 days.

Link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/Shipping.jsp#shippingFees

That being said, my first choice is usually Amazon. You can't beat free two-day, or $4.00 overnight shipping with Amazon Prime.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    Z, according to the B&H shipping FAQ, you could have selected at least five different shipping options including direct UPS and FedEx. This new hybrid option isn't even listed there, so maybe the page it out of date. Regardless, you could have always select another option. Right? It sounds like you selected their Standard shipping option for which the stated delivery time is up to 8 days.

Link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/Shipping.jsp#shippingFees

That being said, my first choice is usually Amazon. You can't beat free two-day, or $4.00 overnight shipping with Amazon Prime.

But it's not really "free" Joel, when you factor in the Amazon Prime subscription fee - you have to calculate the bottom line based on volume of purchases. I like truly free stuff and am content to wait on Super Saver shipping. I like Amazon also - but - I'm recently very disappointed that they capitulated to the crooks in Sacramento and now collect sales tax in California. Many states collect no or low sales and income taxes and still manage to provide adequate services to their citizens - WTF is wrong with California? - wait, I think I answered my own question.....Sacto Crooks deal.gif
    Rant over - feel better now. :D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2013
    Z, according to the B&H shipping FAQ, you could have selected at least five different shipping options including direct UPS and FedEx. QUOTE]

Ahh, I of course knew all this, but the dirty little secret is for 20 years when you pushed "free" you got the item in two days over most of the East Coast.

The new hybrid system still ships the same or next day from B&H, but the handoff's to UPS and then USPS adds a week to shipping. Before it was always straight UPS and they did an excellent job. Most things came within two days.

Sure Prime isnt free, but I already ate that cost long ago. Its unfair, but if B&H wants to keep competitive, they need to stop the hybrid system and go back to straight UPS. I am not asking for free next day or even free two day (that I get from Amazon) what I want is what we used to get!!!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 2, 2013
    I see. That does sound like a regression in service.
  • Options
    MolsondogMolsondog Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2013
    Two weeks ago we received no mail on a particular day. As it turns out we were expecting two packages plus the usual mail. Following up with the USPS I saw that the packages were delivered to USP by FedEx. The tracking number showed that USPS delivered them. Not so however. The response from the friendly folks at our small town PO was that a substitute driver was on the route that day. The sub scanned the packages as delivered but could not recall where they were delivered. Now the vendors we ordered from have to file a claim with USPS and credit it regardless of the outcome of the claim. The final answer from USPS was "sorry". They will write letters to all on the route asking of anyone got someone's mail in error. They will call back only if they find it.

Dear B&H: Please think twice about the level of control you lose when USPS touches your product. It reflects poorly on you when the answer from the last hands to touch it before the customer is "sorry".

Just my two cents.
  • Options
    OstravaczechOstravaczech Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2013
    I also had bad experience with the USPS - their response was "we can't find your certified mail. sorry" and so if I have a choice, I will always use either UPS or FedEx (without having to pay more money, necessarily). *Never trust the government*
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2013
    Personally I have bigger issue w/ people using DHL to ship things. Sure I prefer UPS over USPS.... but DHL I'd rather run screaming from than let Amazon ship me stuff from, half the time it doesn't get delivered, goes to some wrong address blocks away, etc. No idea why DHL can't run a better operation. Thankfully pretty sure B&H doesn't use them at all :)
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2013
    Zanotti wrote: »
    Z, according to the B&H shipping FAQ, you could have selected at least five different shipping options including direct UPS and FedEx. QUOTE]

Ahh, I of course knew all this, but the dirty little secret is for 20 years when you pushed "free" you got the item in two days over most of the East Coast.

The new hybrid system still ships the same or next day from B&H, but the handoff's to UPS and then USPS adds a week to shipping. Before it was always straight UPS and they did an excellent job. Most things came within two days.

Sure Prime isnt free, but I already ate that cost long ago. Its unfair, but if B&H wants to keep competitive, they need to stop the hybrid system and go back to straight UPS. I am not asking for free next day or even free two day (that I get from Amazon) what I want is what we used to get!!!

Z
    I first noticed this with B&H over a year ago, and haven't ordered much from them since.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    Yea found that out last year also. Fair sized order but didn't "need" any of it right away so asked for the free shipping. I wont quote how long as I don't remember for sure but a loooong time. When you are 27 miles from the nearest traffic light, you are used to slow but this was Pony Express slow. Now I just pay for the next day.
    I ship a lot every week. So I know all of the drivers for every service. But to this day 50% of the time fedx ground will leave a box on the ground by the mail box..almost a mile from the shop. All the while knowing that I will raise hell every time..ne_nau.gif
    Not a fan of fedx ground eek7.gif
    Gary
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    I haven't yet had this happen with B&H, but I have had it happen with other online vendors. I have a hunch this is becoming more common in online retailing because free shipping, which is costly and used to be rare, is now very common. I am willing to use the hybrid for less valuable things, but I won't use it for expensive camera equipment.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    Zanotti wrote: »

Z

EXACTLY. thumb.gif In my experience, sometimes even next day.

Adorama had something similar happen a while back (maybe 18mos ago, or even 2 years?) - they switched to a hybrid service which, on one item, took TWO WEEKS to get to me. However, I guess they must have had problems with the service, because the last few times I've used them it was back to the old 2-ish day UPS service, even with the "Free" option selected.

I realise, of course, that I am being given "free" service so can't really complain - and I'm sure the hybrids must be less costly to the shipper - but I appreciated the UPS direct method too as it meant I could use Adorama (always my first choice when possible) and take advantage of the free shipping even if I needed something pretty fast.

What pushed me to go from "free super saver shipping" to Amazon Prime was actually when Penn Camera closed their local doors. I'll often find I need a few bits and pieces in the days running up to a shoot, and with AP I can get it without added cost. The $79 yearly fee has long since paid for itself since I can guarantee getting it within 2 days without additional charges. Overnight and 2-day shipping often STARTS at $15 from many companies (and heads way up - I've seen as much as $50 and $75 on occasion for next day), so Amazon has really come up with a pricing model that offers a regular customer a decent trade-off of cost vs time saved.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    I recently had an order from B&H shipped to me by the USPS. The result was that the USPS "tracking" sytem showed the package as being delivered. The only negative was that I never received it. The silver lining is that this was probably the cheapest order I have ever placed with B&H.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    I've made two large orders from B&H since the start of the year. In each case, I selected the free shipping option, and both times had the package delivered via UPS to my door, in Charlotte, NC within 3 days. I have no complaints about their service.
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    I've done over $100k of business with B&H/Adorama. Never in my life have I clicked "free". If you aren't willing to buy local, and aren't willing to pony up for real shipping with a real company, then I fail to see where there is room to complain. As my mother used to tell me... Free is seldom a bargain.
  • Options
    billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    I used to love Amazon Prime. Two day free shipping was great, even if they skimped a little on packaging. Then they started charging sales tax where I live. They were forced into it, but it did change the equation for best price. So I dumped Prime, just a few days before it was set to auto-renew.

Then I got a Roku box, and discovered Amazon Prime offered some decent free video content not available on Netflix or Hulu-plus. So I signed back up for Prime. Now I have Prime, but hardly ever actually use their shipping anymore.
    - Bill
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    [QUOTEThe result was that the USPS "tracking" sytem showed the package as being delivered. The only negative was that I never received it.][/QUOTE]
    Yea that is the rub with the post office..their tracking system is crap. It is technically delivered when the carrier says it is.
    As far as "no room to complain" the complaint is they and others have changed to this terrible system from one that worked. What I don't understand is how this saves them any money, why/how would the post office do this any cheaper. ne_nau.gif

The biggest problem is I haven't ordered anything camera related since Thanksgiving..eek7.gif
    Now that is messed up!!
    Gary
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2013
    I've done over $100k of business with B&H/Adorama. Never in my life have I clicked "free". If you aren't willing to buy local, and aren't willing to pony up for real shipping with a real company, then I fail to see where there is room to complain. As my mother used to tell me... Free is seldom a bargain.

Ummm..... it's nothing to do with "willingness": some of us don't have the option to "buy local" any more because the bricks and mortar store went out of business. I ALWAYS prefer to buy local when equivalents are available. I'm willing to pay tax, and even a slightly higher price to support the local guy when I can. But I can't anymore.... because they're not there :(deal.gif
  • Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    I'm very sorry anyone is dissatisfied with the free UPS Mail Innovations shipping option. We appreciate the feedback and conversations like this help us focus our attention to where improvements are necessary.

We do offer a menu of shipping options from free and slower to more expensive and speedier. We offer the menu so each customer can choose the best option for each individual transaction. In a hurry today -- use overnight or 2-day rush. No hurry next time -- use a free but slower option. We try to tell customers what to expect and post estimated delivery times for each so no one is surprised.

Thank you all for expressing your opinions and observations.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2013
    Thanks, Henry. You and Helen at Adorama are always so great about listening to customer's concerns (and stalking the photo forums to make sure you see discussions like this!). The attention both companies give to customer service is something I personally always really appreciate. Thank you! thumb.gif
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2013
    You can add Arizona to the tax thing with Amazon starting in spring...:cry

My husband is a logistics manager; boy can I tell you some stories. Let's just say Fedex and UPS are my first choices! mwink.gif
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    I had the same thing happen and was worried when it said it would take a full week to get there (ordered on Sunday and it said the following Monday) but I got the package on Wednesday. Maybe I'm lucky and live close to a distribution hub but basically for packages in MA it goes from B&H to CT near Hartford the first day, up to MA the 2nd, and delivered the third. So overall it added 1 day for me.

For comparison Amazon's free super saver shipping depends on which distribution center they send it from but it usually takes most of a week. And Newegg is usually 3-5 days.