CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
edited February 5, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Criticism is always appreciated.

i-QvKRhLs-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    colinpurringtoncolinpurrington Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    I like how the direction of light matches the direction of water flow. Beautiful image.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    Lots of texture. the boulders remind me of the phony boulders on the original Star Trek series (but these aren't pink) mwink.gif!

Nice image; I think it is very interesting to look at.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2013
    Colin, Eia, thanks very much. It was even better in person.
  • Options
    work2fishwork2fish Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Criticism is always appreciated.

Only criticism is appreciated? :D

I like the image and it is especially powerful in black and white. One curious thing is that, because of the blurring of the water, it is difficult to know which way the water is flowing...

Nice capture.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2013
    "Only criticism is appreciated?" No, so are flowers, cash gifts and loud cheers, but criticism seems easier to come by. :D

I hadn't thought about the direction of the water being ambiguous, but you're right, and that's fine with me.
  • Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    I like it a lot. And I've been have a lot of fun lately with my ND filter on similar shots. If I had one tiny criticism (and this is purely subjective I admit because I'm not familiar with the location) I think the framing could have moved a tiny bit up and to the left. The balance is already weighted that way and maybe just a hint of where the bend leads to could tip that back down a little for a bit of balance. But I am picking a very small nit here.
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    I like this quite a bit. It does have an alien look to it. Nice PP work and nice shot!
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2013
    superduckz, thanks. I'll check the crop carefully, but I don't think I want to change it. Glad you're enjoying your filter. They work best with moving clouds and water, and neither is readily available where I live. I had to drive an hour and then hike in for a half hour to get to this spot.

Cristobal, thanks. I like the other-wordly look. As for processing, one of the benefits of a very long exposure (I think this was 16 seconds) is that the result needs relatively little processing. It almost always needs contrast, but otherwise the processing tends to consist of just a few tonal tweaks.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    There's a lot to like about this one, Don. Got youself a keeper, for sure.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    ^^ I'm with them...... I like the look of the rocks - initially fractured, but now showing rounded edges from the flowing water.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    work2fish wrote: »
    Only criticism is appreciated? :D

I like the image and it is especially powerful in black and white. One curious thing is that, because of the blurring of the water, it is difficult to know which way the water is flowing...

Nice capture.

A very interesting observation. I'll give it a shot and say the water is running away from us since I see no hint of splash or swirls in the 'divot' near the end of photo - plus it looks down hill to me! :D

What say Dan - which way is the water really flowing? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2013
    Tom, Eric, thanks very much.

Eia, the stream is flowing towards the viewer. That's unless you're viewing Dgrin from the Southern Hemisphere, in which case the water is flowing away. (Joke.)

By the way, here's another shot from close to the same place. I think it's less grabby but in some ways I prefer it. More abstract.

i-p6rWKQq-XL.jpg
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    This is a nice result. Very smooth, lots of character, rocks and a great place to smooth out the water to match. The BW conversion really ramps up the impact. Nice tones. Thoughtfully composed ... nice leading lines. Nice blacks. I possibly would be tempted to check if I had enough contrast, nice as is, or if it would add to the drama if I bumped the shadows a tad. :Dthumb.gif Again, nice result
    Michael
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2013
    "Thoughtfully composed." I particularly appreciate that comment, Michael. I'd been getting very sloppy about composition. Recently, I sort of hit the reset button, and I've been a lot more exacting.