Bald Eagle

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited February 9, 2013 in Wildlife
It's been awhile since I've had a chance to go out on a winter hike..with snow on the ground, but today I had a chance to do so. While walking along the Rock River, in Oregon IL, I saw this guy...

i-dfhspmm-X2.jpg
Canon 7D, Canon 300L F/4 IS, ISO 100, F/8 @ 1/350.

He came out of nowhere, flying over a the tree tops, then right over my head. He pretty darn close, considering I had my 300 mounted up, he was really close. Just being able to get him framed before he was gone was a victory in itself. This was the first of three shots I grabbed, as he was going over head, and it's the best. The other two are his head, and his tail. :rofl

There were two juveniles flying around too, but this was the only one that ever got close enough to fill the frame. The only crop I did was to eliminate the blue space in the bottom of the image, the width is unchanged.

Seeing Bald Eagles around here is still a thrill, since there aren't that many around.

As for the snow pictures.....I got some of those too.
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    You did well with this flight shot of the Eagle.
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    You did well with this flight shot of the Eagle.

Thanks....I was actually surprised I even caught it. He appeared over the tree tops so quick I barely had time to get the camera up to my eye. Thankfully the 7D / 300L F/4 combo was quick to focus.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    nice. is the blur on the wings due to flapping?
    edited February 5, 2013
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    nice. is the blur on the wings due to flapping?

Yep......he was cruising right along, not soaring. I had maybe a second or two from the time I saw him, to the time I snapped this shot.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2013
    Considering your shutter speed you did a great jog in getting this capture. Wouldn't it be great if they would just give us a few seconds to set up theshot?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited February 9, 2013
    Harryb wrote: »
    Considering your shutter speed you did a great jog in getting this capture. Wouldn't it be great if they would just give us a few seconds to set up theshot?

Yes, yes it would. I saw him sitting in a tree, in the middle of the river, and as I walked out on the bridge to attempt to get the shot, he flew off, to who knew where. I was ready for a still shot, then boom! Action! rolleyes1.gif