Options

Idea for a new challenge

2»

Comments

• Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    Is it possible to actually make this happen officially? Create an additional non-pros challenge that has some sort of top 3 prize? Promote it, and even bring new people here to the challenges forum?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    Jenn wrote: »
    ack! Laughing.gif How can you say you aren't a professional? I've seen your website! Laughing.gif

Thanks, I have worked hard on that, but I have not made enough money to pay for hosting, much less the actual gear. That's what many here are telling you - we work hard at it, and love it, but don't make any money from it.

The term "professional" is a floating target and is very subjective, but also somewhat irrelevant to the discussion - shoot for you and quit worrying about what everyone else thinks. Its one shot every three weeks so even the most rank amateur should be able to figure out the technical "how" if he/she can sort out the very personal "what". Vision first. Research, trial/error and hard work next and the final product will come through.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    oh come on .. Laughing.gif No ones going to buy my pics! Laughing.gif I don't advertise them as being for sale ... don't have a photography website with my name or logo on it, don't have the equipment or the images that people would want to buy.

Why not have a website? I have been very surprised as to what sells and what doesn't at art shows, galleries, etc. dgrin is a great community, but it is hardly representative of the world at large. You may be very surprised at the reception you'd get once you found the right audience, which may be right in your own town.

Personally, I would like to see Jenn's photography site, even if there is nothing for sell on it. You're very likely cutting yourself short here and I bet you could find a few someones who would be willing to pay for your work and many others who would enjoy seeing it online.

Regarding equipment, have you seen what David Hobby did with a 2 megapixel Buzz Lightyear camera on Digitalrevtv? It's enlightening to say the least: David Hobby Digitalrevtv YouTube
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    cbbr wrote: »
    Thanks, I have worked hard on that, but I have not made enough money to pay for hosting, much less the actual gear. That's what many here are telling you - we work hard at it, and love it, but don't make any money from it.

I tend to believe that photography is part-time career especially when it comes to selling your product, but that doesn't mean it's any less of a professional skillset. Years ago I went through a debate/discussion about whether or not my skillset made me a professional, and the bottom line was once I made it a skillset that I promoted and made money at it even part-time, I was considered to be a professional. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    BTDT .. read it .. discussed it.

The problem still exists. I get discouraged ... others get discouraged. Nothing changes so that people are less likely to get discouraged. Why can't something new happen that can solve a problem, or at least help? People just leave or don't even try.

How do you know people aren't shying away because of the nature of the challenges? I do at times ... others have told me that they did, too. There aren't that many new people here... 1 or 2 a month maybe?? Do they stay??

Success is even more inspiring and encouraging vs watching someone else be successful.

As much as you feel I shouldn't feel that way, it doesn't help being told 'don't feel that way'.

I already have done that ... it doesn't remove the 'disappointment or frustration'.

Doesn't everyone want to win if you're being truely honest?

I'm suggesting something that I believe would make it fun again for me and probably some others, too.

I appreciate what you've said ... and you listening. :)

They also get paid well for losing. Laughing.gif

Not when it comes to competing against professionals because they judge you expecting professional results and will generally choose the professional image ... not the image that was taken because a person had a 'vision' and was trying to portray that vision ....

It's on a downward trend ... as far as new people.

thanks :) I realize people would rather just go along with noone rocking the boat at all ... but at least I tried to get people to see a different perspective. I'd like to see lots of new people here, not just a couple here or there.

Sometimes great advice is dated and when new ideas would actually shake things up and make things more exciting and different, but many people don't like new ideas or even *different*. They like what's familiar to them.

Ahhh.....I get it now (light bulb over my head)....That's 20 minutes of my life I can't get back - total waste of time.
    Well, at least I added to my post count.

Suggested Reading:
    The Law of Unintended Consequences
    Let's see how that works out for ya'
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 7, 2013
    There is something wrong here and it isn't just me. This is a good idea.

No its not a good idea because:

1. the challenge set up now does not have many (if any) "professionals" and most all that are winning are not concidered "professionals". (Professionals= making at least 50% of their annual income from their photography)

2. Unless you are supplying the prizes, there will be no sponsors for a second challenge.

3. To try and police a challenge claiming that only "amatures" can participate, would mean that someone would have to spend hours and hours checking up on everyone who participates to be sure that they are not "proffessionals" (see definitions above) and since this is a volunteer position to moderate, it would be hard to find someone who has that much time and willingness to make it happen.

Yes it is just you as I see no one saying they agree with you. So there you have it. Live with it or move on.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    karlabbott wrote: »
    Why not have a website? I have been very surprised as to what sells and what doesn't at art shows, galleries, etc. dgrin is a great community, but it is hardly representative of the world at large. You may be very surprised at the reception you'd get once you found the right audience, which may be right in your own town.

Personally, I would like to see Jenn's photography site, even if there is nothing for sell on it. You're very likely cutting yourself short here and I bet you could find a few someones who would be willing to pay for your work and many others who would enjoy seeing it online.

awee ... they are kind of scattered on 2 different sites so I can link them to the challenges. If you really want to see them, send me a PM and I'll send you the links.
    karlabbott wrote: »
    Regarding equipment, have you seen what David Hobby did with a 2 megapixel Buzz Lightyear camera on Digitalrevtv? It's enlightening to say the least: David Hobby Digitalrevtv YouTube

I look .. thanks! :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    JAG wrote: »
    No its not a good idea because:

1. the challenge set up now does not have many (if any) "professionals" and most all that are winning are not concidered "professionals". (Professionals= making at least 50% of their annual income from their photography)

2. Unless you are supplying the prizes, there will be no sponsors for a second challenge.

3. To try and police a challenge claiming that only "amatures" can participate, would mean that someone would have to spend hours and hours checking up on everyone who participates to be sure that they are not "proffessionals" (see definitions above) and since this is a volunteer position to moderate, it would be hard to find someone who has that much time and willingness to make it happen.

So there you have it. Live with it or move on.

It is a good idea ... It could work, and it doesn't have to be that difficult. I've worked forums before off and on for a long time volunteer. If prizes aren't an option, it could be done another way.

But, it's a new idea and new ideas aren't readily accepted.

You shouldn't be telling someone to 'live with it or move on'. That's just not conducive to a friendly environment, imo. I've done nothing wrong by suggesting something new that could liven up the challenges group.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    I swore to myself I wouldn't get sucked into this, this is nothing new from you (Jenn). You have posted this same old same old pity party since you began. I am no newby here, but I have been away for awhile. Never make assumptions as to why people come and go, it may have absolutely nothing to do with the competition. I reviewed my entries, my very first entry was in August of 2008, I have NEVER won a challenge. Quite honestly, I don't care, I have produced some images that I absolutely love, that's all that matters to me. No offense, but it's time to grow up, you will never be happy unless you're happy with yourself and your own efforts. Seems to me that you have had some favorable photos and positive comments on them....try focusing on that instead.
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    ic4u wrote: »
    I swore to myself I wouldn't get sucked into this, this is nothing new from you (Jenn). You have posted this same old same old pity party since you began. I am no newby here, but I have been away for awhile. Never make assumptions as to why people come and go, it may have absolutely nothing to do with the competition. I reviewed my entries, my very first entry was in August of 2008, I have NEVER won a challenge. Quite honestly, I don't care, I have produced some images that I absolutely love, that's all that matters to me. No offense, but it's time to grow up, you will never be happy unless you're happy with yourself and your own efforts. Seems to me that you have had some favorable photos and positive comments on them....try focusing on that instead.

How is you or others expressing how you feel any more valid than me expressing how I feel? Why is it a "pity party" if I do it, but not the same if others do it?

I've been patient and tried to explain with respect and in great detail an idea that I feel is a good idea and explain why I presented it and how it could benefit the challenges forum. I haven't gotten angry or disrespectful to anyone by disrespecting what you or they have said regardless of whether we are in agreement or not.

I wish I could say the same for some of you here. While my ideas may not be something you understand or *get*, I deserve the same patience and respect from you and them that I have given.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    CambysesCambyses Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    It is true that participation at dgrin is probably a bit low, and I frankly cannot point to a specific reason for it, other than it is perhaps due to the nature of online forums and how some forums manage to get much more publicized. I really don't think the lower rate of participation has any correlation with the nature of the dgrin challenges. To give you an example, I do occasionally participate in the weekly assignments in the DPS forum too, and there are many more people participating in those assignments, and you can find some amazingly good pictures submitted. But I certainly prefer the Dgrin challenges. On DPS, a) there is no prize for the winners, b) there is no voting, rather winners are selected by a couple of judges/moderators, and their selections can be quite subjective at times. But when one of my pictures once got to be among the winners, the number of viewers for my picture skyrocketed, which showed me how popular their site it. But is that because their forum assignments is somehow better than dgrin challenges? I certainly don't think so.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    Seriously? I can't believe we're all still going down this road. We all need to just ignore Jenn when she starts this stuff. I wasn't aware that this has been going on for YEARS with Jenn until some of the posts today. However, this is now the 2nd or 3rd time I got sucked in... which is why I was less pc this go around. I'm mad at myself that I got sucked in again today, but... no more.

Time to stop the insanity people. Answering as if it makes a difference only makes it worse. Time to hit the ignore button because there are just some people in this world that are bottomless pits of neediness that can never be filled.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    It is a good idea ... It could work, and it doesn't have to be that difficult. I've worked forums before off and on for a long time volunteer. If prizes aren't an option, it could be done another way.

But, it's a new idea and new ideas aren't readily accepted.

You shouldn't be telling someone to 'live with it or move on'. That's just not conducive to a friendly environment, imo. I've done nothing wrong by suggesting something new that could liven up the challenges group.

Jenn, this is nothing new. You have not said or come up with anything new. We have two challenges on this board. Both are open to any dgrin user. Both have never had anyone other than YOU complain about being discouraged. Do others get discouraged? Most likely there are a few (like me at one point) but those are the ones that usually use their frustrations to only improve themselves.

The problem here is that YOU Jenn, are discouraged and do not see your personal growth as a photographer/artist as being worth anything. I pity you for not seeing that. You have rejected everyones encouraging words when they give it to you, and you take everything else as being an attack on you.

So when I say move on, and you say I am being mean or unfriendly, then deal with that too because I know in my heart of hearts that all the people here wish you the best and that you would see the challenges in the light in which they were created. AS A LEARNING TOOL. But since you refuse to see it that way, the only thing left to say is don't let the screen door hit you on the way out!
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    Seriously? I can't believe we're all still going down this road. We all need to just ignore Jenn when she starts this stuff. I wasn't aware that this has been going on for YEARS with Jenn until some of the posts today. However, this is now the 2nd or 3rd time I got sucked in... which is why I was less pc this go around. I'm mad at myself that I got sucked in again today, but... no more.

Time to stop the insanity people. Answering as if it makes a difference only makes it worse. Time to hit the ignore button because there are just some people in this world that are bottomless pits of neediness that can never be filled.

Girl after my own heart!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    ic4u wrote: »
    I reviewed my entries, my very first entry was in August of 2008, I have NEVER won a challenge.

I have a feeling that you just might win this time around, Karin...you've entered a gorgeous image!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    I have a feeling that you just might win this time around, Karin...you've entered a gorgeous image!

iloveyou.gif
    Even if I don't, I'm framing it...and seriously if anyone wants to know what went into producing that shot, it was very simple, just right timing, settings and a vision, no high tech, no pricey equipment, just pure vision and a love of photography!
    Thanks for the kind words!
    Karin

• Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    JAG wrote: »
    Jenn, this is nothing new. You have not said or come up with anything new. We have two challenges on this board. Both are open to any dgrin user. Both have never had anyone other than YOU complain about being discouraged. Do others get discouraged? Most likely there are a few (like me at one point) but those are the ones that usually use their frustrations to only improve themselves.

The problem here is that YOU Jenn, are discouraged and do not see your personal growth as a photographer/artist as being worth anything. I pity you for not seeing that. You have rejected everyones encouraging words when they give it to you, and you take everything else as being an attack on you.

So when I say move on, and you say I am being mean or unfriendly, then deal with that too because I know in my heart of hearts that all the people here wish you the best and that you would see the challenges in the light in which they were created. AS A LEARNING TOOL. But since you refuse to see it that way, the only thing left to say is don't let the screen door hit you on the way out!

wow ... all this negativity over a suggestion ... and idea to do something new here.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    and we are done.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    PedalGirl wrote: »

Do you tell everyone to ignore people you disagree with? <sigh>
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited February 7, 2013
    Do you tell everyone to ignore people you disagree with? <sigh>
    You've hardly been ignored as this is your second thread and like the other one, it has multiple replies.

Bottom line is we've listened to your suggestion twice and at this stage, a third challenge isn't going to happen but thank you for taking the time to make the suggestion.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
This discussion has been closed.