Options

Volleyball Collages

marymary Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited December 2, 2005 in Sports
Here are two collages of my volleyball pics - I used photoshop to put them together for the volleyball Memory Book. Each player receives a book of volleyball stats, bio's, pictures, and that type of thing at the end of the season. My daughter is a JV player (#98) and had a really fun season - but it seems that not many parents can get a decent picture of this sport!

Here is the Varsity collage:
Varsity%20Collage%20copy2.jpg

And here is JV:
JV%20collage%20copy2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 29, 2005
    Very nice Mary thumb.gifthumb.gif

I bet they look even better when viewed larger. Vball is probably the toughest indoor sport to get good results from. You should be very pleased with yourself (and your shots) and hopefully, the parents will be more than happy to subsidize your printing costs for a collage of their own :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    I agree with Steve for sure. Volleyball is the toughest of all indoor sports to shoot. I will admit its my least favorite.....

I think your Collages are great, any parent or Pro for that matter will appreciate the effort that you have poured into it.

Did you have a set price for the Memory Books that they will need to pay?

A lot of individuals have NO clue how much work is involved after the image is made and you start on the Post Processing, they seem to think you just push the button and thats it.

I have some College Volleyball shots on my smugmug page so I know how it is trying to get just the right shot. Its usually the same everywhere, bad lighting and worse shooting positions.

No matter what, you have done an awesome job!!
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2005
    Thank you for your nice comments! The banquet was last night and the kids all received their books - free of charge. I wasn't paid for taking photos, processing, compiling the book or anything. The money to pay for printing was provided by the booster club, which we had to do several fundraisers to pay for tournament trophies, the books, the banquet, etc...

I took literally hundreds of photos and had to change my settings in every gym. You guys are right - volleyball is tough to photograph! I gave every photo to the school yearbook staff so that they could use them - they didn't get any good pictures of the sport. So we'll be seeing my photography in the school yearbook too - I think that's pretty cool! Not getting paid for that either, but I did shell out $150 for two yearbooks (one for each daughter). mwink.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited November 30, 2005
    Very nice idea and a great gift for the end of the season.

You've done a nice job getting good shots into the collage as well.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    Mary,

Thats great that you could do that, especially since it helped out with the fundraising for the Team and School. Your support and images will be remembered and appreciated forever by those involved.

I really understand how it works, I have done the same thing for the past couple years for my Daughters High School Soccer Team. Its really priceless when you see the kids faces as they see themselves in print. Its also great that the Yearbook staff could use your images.

I know here if it wasnt for the images I provide, the Soccer Team would not be in the yearbook, in exchange they give me a free advertisement in the back of the book with other ads and my advertisement on Stadium Seats they sale at games so it works really well for everyone, I didnt ask for the free ads but since they offered it to me I took it.

Have you thought about releasing some of the images or the Collages to the local paper? I have done that also and they ran the images in the sports section. Kids and parents really go crazy when they are in the paper and they can show everyone they made the "news" so to speak.

Keep up the great work, its parents like you that are willing to help and be involved that inspire the kids to stay focused and positive.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2005
    Great Ideas - Thanks everyone. I hadn't thought of giving any images to the newspaper - mostly because I leave my paper laying in the driveway until I have a pile of them then I toss them all out without reading it. Someday I'll actually have time to read an issue.

Daughter #1 is finished with her volleyball season, and Daughter #2 is just starting her volleyball season which runs till the end of May. More photo opportunities! Different gyms than before! New lighting challenges! Daughter #3 is on the way and I'll shift from volleyball photos to baby portraits - that'll be fun too 1drink.gif
  • Options
    cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Nice job
    Yes this is a lot of work, But an outstanding job..
    Hank Stoklosa
    CornerKetch Studios
    Special Olympics Delaware
    www.sode.smugmug.com